This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

It is undeniable that women have recently been (relatively) cast in more rich narratives, complex characters, and have moved away from purely lyrical dialogue. Thankfully, it has enabled both role models and morally dubious women alike to grace our screens. However, audiences seem to be less willing to accept such changes. This was discussed by Zendaya and Carey Mulligan in their Variety’s Actors on Actors online session.

While both detailing their upcoming projects, namely, ‘Malcolm & Marie’, and ‘Promising Young Woman’, they explored the backlash they faced. Not in relation to the characters they worked tirelessly to create but, rather, directed at the actors themselves. Such criticism has plagued Zendaya since her shift from her Disney oriented roles such as ‘Euphoria’. Substantial weight was placed on Zendaya’s previous performances and questioned her capability of taking on mature rules. Similarly, in ‘Malcolm & Marie’, the backlash was, again, targeted at the age gap between her and her co-star. Audiences were once again unwilling to respectfully view this actor in a different role and were surprised at the different genre undertaken.

Carey Mulligan similarly faced such superficial critique. A Variety article alluded that Mulligan was not attractive enough for her ‘Promising Young Woman’ role, stating that her ‘femme fatale’ character was rather a ‘put-on’ and was intended for an actress like Margot Robbie. Not only did this comment disregard Mulligan’s performance but sought to legitimize criticism directed at her appearance. As Mulligan herself has noted, the fact that such a piece of literature exists demonstrates the unwillingness of audiences to respect the talent of women on screen in their own right. Indeed, the criticism that Zendaya’s newer roles have attracted is equally superficial, focusing on external factors like age and not their capabilities.

It is undeniable that this critique is frequently directed towards women. Though the existence of such roles portrayed by Zendaya and Mulligan indicate a shift in social momentum, they also emphasise holes in this developing tapestry. Women are not defined by one characteristic and must be allowed to develop onscreen and be judged based on the talents they can bring to cinema.

Law student, avid writer, and all-round opinionated. Keenly interested in charity work, the world of literature, and creativity, this account will be dedicated towards creating articles filled with stories, statements, and views.
hahsghqs