This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

The largest happiness and joy often come from the small things in life and not from big events. So, this article will present you with some small things you can do to boost your own happiness and well-being.

Gratitude

By appreciating everything that we already have, gratitude drowns out negativity. It reminds us of what we have instead of what we lack. Gratitude is scientifically proven to make us happier. In addition, when practicing gratitude, we are reminded of how beautiful the present moment is and we learn to appreciate the little things more. One way to practice gratitude is to think of or write down three things you’re grateful for every morning or evening. Another option is to keep a gratitude journal. My favorite is ‘The Five Minute Journal’. By enjoying the little things we learn that actually, they are the big things.

Acts of Kindness

As mentioned before, often the smallest things bring us the greatest amount of joy. Think of a moment when a friend gave you an unexpected gift or remembered something about you. Surely, it will have brought a smile upon your face. However, doing these small deeds for others can make us equally as happy. Here are some suggestions of things you can do for others that cost absolutely nothing, yet make all the difference: Write a letter to your grandparents, donate some of your old clothes or books to someone in need, make a cake for your neighbors, feed the birds or just write a review for a small business you like.

Mindfulness

Happiness is experienced in the present, not in the past and not in the future. Therefore, learn to be more present. The best way to be more present is to practice mindfulness. You can do this by either doing meditations, for example a Loving-Kindness meditation or just by being more aware in your daily life. What can you hear? What can you see? What can you smell? The next time you eat some chocolate don’t just mindlessly gulp it down but savor it and concentrate on the taste of it in your mouth. Like this, something that we tend to do without even thinking about it, becomes a little joy and pleasure in itself.

Exercise and Sleep

Last but not least, exercise and sleep. Exercise is proven to provide us with serotonin, the happiness hormone. So, whenever you are in a slump, get outside and move your body. See what you need at the moment and what feels right. This could be going for a jog or bike ride, doing a YouTube workout or some yoga. Even though it might be difficult to do a workout, at the end we always feel a bit better.

Hi, my name is Chiara and I am a freshman at KCL, studying Culture, Media and Creative industries. I'm from Switzerland and love all things outdoors, such as figure-skating and skiing. In addition to that, I love writing and hope to have a career in journalism!
hahsghqs