This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Hi beautiful people. Today I want to talk about my favourite skincare products and how I got involved in skincare. I will also be providing tips and tricks on layering products and how you should be mixing your products.

I used to have Cystic Acne. I had seen several dermatologists who kept prescribing me a series of medicated creams and solutions containing benzoyl peroxide and even antibiotics, and when they didn’t work I was given Accutane (the parent drug of Retinol). However, when Accutane was given to me and that failed to work I decided to try out skincare as a last resort.

Here is a list of my favourite products. I have listed these in order, so you know exactly how to layer them.

Note: For a very basic skincare routine the core steps are cleansing, toning, moisturizing and SPF. However, if you want to work on your skin more, I recommend using serums and oils as well.

Cleanser
Image by Madeleine Bokan for Her Campus Media

Clinique Liquid facial soap: Mild

For dry and sensitive skin I highly recommend this! It is so gentle on the skin and compared to other face washes I have tried, this one prevents me from breaking out.

CeraVe: This is a great low budget daily cleanser which works for all skin types. Simply purchase the one suitable for your skin type…you cannot go wrong with this cleanser.

Neutrogena Clear and Defend: I have just run out of this face wash which is a non-perfumed gel cleanser from the clear and defend line, and it was one of the best cleansers I owned. However, this was in Germany, so I will try to find a replacement in the UK. It felt great on the skin and great value for money. They also have many other different lines of skincare you can check out depending on your problem area. A great brand for skincare!

DHC Cleansing Oil: Yes as mentioned this is a cleansing oil. I recommend that you use this when wearing makeup to double cleanse in the evening. As a cheaper alternative to DHC, you can use Coconut Oil. Simply take some onto your hand and melt it by rubbing your hands together and massage into your face.  

Toner

Toner
Sara Marsetti

Rosewater: As a toner, I have found this to be very gentle on my face. I have used different types ranging from expensive to cheap (Eclat, Rosewater from Morrison’s, Garnier). For simple rose water, I recommend Garnier and you will notice a difference in skin texture. If you want to spend a bit more you can use organic rose water where the petals extracted are better quality.

Origins resilience and relief mega mushroom Dr Andrew wells toner: This toner is great for all skin types and smells good. It can be applied in several ways but I prefer to simply pour it into my hand and tap it into the skin. The largest size bottle has lasted me almost a year and I apply it twice a day. It reduces redness straight away which is why I really like it. The results are instant and after a few months, you really notice a difference in your skin. Although this line Is quite expensive, I recommend purchasing it during the sales as the deals are honestly amazing.

Serum

Sephora

Hyaluronic Acid: Great for fine lines and wrinkles and moisturising your skin. A great recovery serum.

The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% and Zinc 1%: Niacinamide is amazing, it can be mixed with almost anything, just do not mix it with vitamin C or AHA/BHA’s. This solution is great for reducing blemishes, pigmentation and fine lines and wrinkles.

Retinol: Retinol has amazing skin benefits. It is highly recommended for acne-prone skin and it also reduces fine lines and wrinkles by boosting collagen. Although I prefer The Ordinary brand, the type of retinol you buy really depends on your skin type. You should start off with a lower concentration and build the strength of retinol you use. There is also a difference between retinal and retinoid. For more information check out this YouTube video here which provides more information.

Moisturisers

Hand with cream
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

Eye Cream

Origins Ginzing eye cream: This is great for brightening the under eyes and getting rid of dark circles.

Avant Pro radiance eye brightening cream: This reduces puffiness and it includes hyaluronic acid which hydrates under the eyes. It is more on the expensive side but is known to work wonders.

Kiehl’s creamy eye Treatment: Does what it says, reduces dark circles and puffiness. This brand really is worth the hype.

Clinique Moisture surge: Clinique skincare isn’t as well recognised anymore, however, they are known for their non-fragranced and dermatologist recommendations.

Day Creams

Origins Ginzing Face Gel: If you have dry skin this is a great cream to apply in the mornings, the ginzing brightens the face and energises the skin. 

Neutrogena water gel with hyaluronic acid: I discovered this product when I was using my origins ginzing moisturising gel. I found that it was too energising for my skin and I wanted a cream that was suitable for day and night. So after reading many reviews online about the water gel I decided to make the switch. This product absorbs instantly and is very lightweight. I did find however that I was finishing the tub a lot quicker than most people as I felt that it was absorbing a bit too quickly into my skin, so I needed more product. This is suitable as a Day and Night Cream​.

Charlotte Tilbury Magic cream: Great before makeup and significantly boosts the skins hydration levels.

Night Cream

Cosrx Blemish Cream: This cream is quite thick on the skin and can leave a white residue, so I only recommend using this at night. You can apply it to the whole face or only on certain areas where you have blemishes. This cream is great in reducing the size of breakouts and it also helps reduce the appearance of scars.

CeraVe Moisturizing Cream: A drugstore moisturizer suitable for day and night.

SPF!

This step is often neglected, especially in the Western world but it is key to protect your skin. Sun damage can result in wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and fine lines. It can also result in redness and skin burns.

Cosrx SPF: This is very lightweight and I have noticed a significant reduction of sun damage on my skin.

Avene SPF 50: Provides maximum protection and doesn’t irritate sensitive skin.

La Roche-Posay Anti-Shine Sun Protection SPF50+ (Invisible): SPF is meant to be reapplied and It can be difficult to rub something into your face, especially if you wear makeup, so I recommend this spray which is a good way to reapply SPF throughout the day.

Oils

Facial oil with rose petals
Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels

Tea tree oil: As an antiseptic, it is great for reducing blemishes and pimples. For example, if you have hormonal breakouts I highly recommend applying tea tree oil to the affected area and you will see results within the day. This is a must-have oil in your collection. 

Rosehip Seed Oil: Although this oil is quite pricey, it is excellent for getting rid of scars and clearing the skin. I highly recommend it.

. . .

If you would like more information, check out my favourite skincare YouTubers ‘BeautyWithin’ who explain the science behind skincare.

I would like to stress that what works for me might not work for you, everyone’s skin is unique and different. 

Sonia is a Postgraduate student studying MSc Economics and Finance at King's College London. During her undergraduate degree she spent a year abroad studying at NTU Singapore and working in Germany her birth country. As a woman who desires to work in the financial sector you can catch her regularly reading the Financial Times and the Economist. She enjoys photography, painting as well as taking regular trips around the world.  
hahsghqs