She Was Working in a Cocktail Bar: 5 Must-Try Cocktail Bars in London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

And before we know it, it’s March… so why not celebrate the start of the new semester by gathering your mates and heading down to one of these amazing cocktails bar right on your door step? Here’s your quick shortcut to what you need to know!

Blame Gloria

Location: 20 Bedford Street WC2E 9HP, Covent Garden

Average Price: Typical London, ££

Happy Hour?: Yes! 2 for 1 menu cocktails from 4-7pm.

Additional info: Blame Gloria is the sister bar to Tonight Josephine and there are definitely similar vibes seen in both – amazing cocktails AND amazing Insta-worthy walls to pose against. Set in a basement in Covent Garden with floral walls and low lighting? You know you’re in for a good time. 21+ only.

Opium

Location: 15-16 Gerrard Street W1D 6JE, Leicester Square

Average Price: Special treat kind of night, £££

Exclusive?: It’s a hidden spot in the busy heart of Chinatown with premium cocktails and beautiful 1920s inspired Chinese décor. Booking is definitely required.  

Additional info: Opium has 3 different bars so make sure to check out which one you want to go to when you book your reservation! Ps. You can also get dim sum at this wonderful place. So go go go. 18+.

Belowzero Ice Bar

Location: 31-33 Heddon Street, W1B 4BN, Mayfair

Average Price: Typical London, ££

Entry fee?: Yup. Entry tickets range from £13.50 – £16.50 depending on time and day, and can be purchased online.

Additional info: Belowzero Ice Bar is the UK’s only permanent ice bar that serves its signature cocktails at -5°C all year round that provides guests with a thermal cape and gloves to keep you nice and cosy. They change their ice sculptures/theme annually and ‘London Land’ will be ending this May so go now and check it out!

Callooh Callay

Location: 65 Rivington Street EC2A 3AY, Shoreditch

Average Price: Typical London, ££

Booking Required?: Not necessarily required unless maybe it’s a Friday or Saturday night, or if you want to be situated in a specific one of their ‘secret’ bars, each with a completely different theme and décor.

Additional info: Callooh Callay has won several awards in its 10 years of business and are renown for their long list of creative and fun cocktail menu, so make sure to try a drink… or two… Ps. Maybe ask to go through the wardrobe doors… 21+.

Laki Kane

Location: 144-145 Upper Street N1 1QY, Islington

Average Price: Typical London, ££

Speciality cocktail?: Laki Kane specialises in rum-based cocktails and even make their own rum in their upstairs bars, the Spiced Dry Rum Club.

Additional info: Take a trip to the tropics at Laki Kane because we can all stretch our student loan, but not that much. The bar’s tropical and fun cocktails matched with their range of international cuisine and décor will make you think you’re on a gorgeous sunny beach and not stuck in grey London. Laki Kane also allows guests the opportunity to create their own rums in special workshop experiences from £70. 18 +.  

Avid napper and English student at King's College London that procrastinates from writing by - well, writing. South London native.
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.