jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The real deal about moving across the world for uni at 18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

It goes without saying that the prospects of studying abroad sound appealing to almost everyone, yet, there seems to be a side to this perfect image we are not particularly addressing. 

University holds more of an emotional meaning to many; lasting memories, friendships and the challenge that comes with being alone for the first time. studying abroad is an opportunity but that does not make it an easy and linear process. 

I’ll rip the band-aid right off by starting with the cons and working towards the nicer side. One of the most obvious ones being: culture shock. Beginning a new chapter of your life is already overwhelming however with the added element of a foreign environment it can sometimes feel exhausting. Immersing yourself in a new culture is challenging, from adjusting to new traditions and customs to the humor, slang and mannerisms, it will take time for you to adapt. I have to admit, it has been fun navigating my way around and finding out more about the culture not just in a general sense but from a modern perspective. 

TUITION. I’m not sure if this is a topic many people are aware of, but international students pay their blood and soul in tuition, excluding living costs, rent and the ‘occasional’ night out. Budgeting is your new best friend and trying to gain any form of student discount becomes a sixth sense. London is not wallet friendly, but a beautiful city is worth the sacrifice. Plus, consider it a learning experience that is actively preparing you for adulthood. If you’re worried about not being able to do things you love and indulging in your free time, then consider a job on the side, more often than not your university will offer job opportunities of you don’t want to venture too far into the abyss. 

Feeling homesick. I wish I had advice surrounding this particular downside, but I haven’t yet found a remedy myself. The truth is, there will be moments when you do feel homesick and when you do, just call home and facetime your friends. There’s no shame in missing them even if it’s only been a few weeks/ days. Being homesick doesn’t mean you’re feeling lonely, it just means you’re still adjusting. There’s no time frame in which you start/ stop feeling homesick and that’s also fine, just immerse yourself in this new opportunity you’ve been dealt and don’t let this experience get tainted. 

Now that I’ve gotten some of the less wonderful aspects of moving abroad, I feel like I need to address all the happier elements. Firstly, and this goes without saying, you will learn how to live on your own. You’ll begin to do things on your own terms, managing your time, creating your own schedules, making your own set of guidelines and carving your own path. You will make mistakes, spend too much of your monthly budget in the first week, miss a lecture and at times forget to stock the fridge. Yet, in doing so you will grow and outgrow old habits. You will learn that perhaps doing the dishes immediately after will make future you happy. To set multiple alarms and to create a shopping list as soon as something runs out. The best part it, that will all come from you and there is nothing as gratifying as knowing you have learnt how to live on your own, all by yourself. 

Overall, being an international student, will provide you with thrilling experiences you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Even the moments when you burnt your dinner and ordered McDonald’s at one in the morning…

Hopefully the words I write make someone out there feel understood.
President of Her Campus KCL!