Niche Subgenres to Spice Up Your Winter Playlists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you might find yourself getting bored of a playlist you’ve made within just a few weeks of having created it. My fatal flaw is always listening to a few songs on repeat for weeks at a time until I can’t stand them anymore!  That’s why certain music subgenres that you might not have known about are perfect for this predicament: it introduces you to a whole new world of sounds.

• If you want a winter that reeks of cigarette smoke, strobe lights, and a skins party, try: BLOGHOUSE.  Well-known artists and bands within this category include Crystal Castles, HEALTH, and Hey Champ among others.  It’ll bring you back to the time when “hipster” was a term that was used on a daily basis, and when guys wore those tight v-neck sweaters.  If you want to live out your Effy Stonem fantasies, this genre is for you.  
  • If you want to live out your written-by-Ai Yazawa story, try: SHIBUYA-KEI.  This kitschy, 1960’s inspired genre popularized in the 1990s is sure to raise your spirits even on the rainiest day.  It can take a little getting used to, but for listeners new to the genre, try playing Kahimi Karie or Flipper’s Guitar.  (Fun Fact: I listened to “Groove Tube” by Flipper’s Guitar so much during exam season last year that I can’t listen to it without automatically reviewing my first-year metaphysics notes).  
  • If you want to feel like a moody twenty-something twenty years ago, try: SHOEGAZE.  Shoegaze is a relatively well-known genre, but it deserves more attention.  Shoegaze is not only my favorite genre on this list, but my favorite genre ever!  With headliners like my bloody valentine, Slowdive, and Lush, shoegaze became very popular with moody young people in the 1990s, and is closely related to Dream Pop.  Characterized by the constant use of reverb and delay, it’s not for everyone.  Despite this, I recommend giving it (and the others on this list) a good listen.  You never know what you might like!
Hello! I'm Adelaide, an international student from the USA studying philosophy in London. I'm super excited to write for HerCampus, especially since it spans across so many universities in different countries. I look forward to writing for you!