This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

London to me is a patchwork of great novels. Everywhere you go, you will find a blue plaque telling you that (insert famous writer) has lived there at some point. Similarly, whenever I read a book set in London, I feel the urge to go and see it myself! With that in mind, here are five books that are set in London and some activities you may want to do.

Mrs Dalloway by the legendary Virginia Woolf, is arguably one of my favourite books. Considered a modernist masterpiece, Mrs Dalloway details a woman and solider who are in parallel narratives throughout one day in London. The novel has countless references to places across the city, likely inspired by Woolf, who herself lived in Bloomsbury (along with many other famous modernists such as T.S Elliot, whose plaque is virtually next to SOAS University) and later in life, in Richmond. Mrs Dalloway lives near Bond Street, which is a lovely area in Piccadilly and home to The Ritz Hotel, as well as many high-end night clubs and restaurants! I suggest a day trip to the area to embrace the poshness of it all with high tea and shopping… and maybe a trip to a nightclub to finish the evening. 

Next up is Mary Poppins, by P.L Travers. Although, unfortunately, 17 Cherry Lane is in fact fictional, the consensus amongst readers is that the area the Banks family lived in was based off Chelsea and Kensington. This is simply a must visit place for those of us who, like me, love to walk around neighbourhoods they will never be able to afford to live in! However, one of the most famous landmarks mentioned in the book is St Paul’s Cathedral. Here you can get a tour inside and marvel at the gorgeous interior and I would thoroughly recommend going to see if there is, in fact, a woman feeding the birds!

Queenie, by Candice Carty-Williams, is about a young British-Jamaican woman whose grandparents came to London during the Windrush migration and settled in Brixton. Although London now considers Brixton a victim of gentrification, the area still has so much history and culture. I have been to many a great gig at the O2 Academy Brixton and there are always great food markets and street art to see. And if this doesn’t satisfy your hunger, you could take a visit to the Black Cultural Archives, an archive and heritage centre in Brixton devoted to telling the stories of people of African and Caribbean descent in the UK.

We are remaining south of the river for a moment with The Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi. Karim, our main character, soon leaves the suburbs in Bromley for central London and explores everything there is to do, particularly the theatres. This is a semi-autobiographical book and Kureishi himself is a KCL alumni who studied philosophy. He spent much of his time on the Strand Campus and then worked in the National Theatre on the Southbank. The Southbank should be on everyone’s bucket list to simply wander down and see the skatepark and food stalls. Then, in winter, the area shines with its annual Christmas market. For the theatre lovers, there are student discounts and tickets at the National Theatre which I would urge you to take advantage of.

The character of Sherlock Holmes in Arthur Conan Doyle’s novel is undoubtedly a figure synonymous with London. In each novel the city is hugely significant, however, I would personally suggest picking up The Sign of Four. Holmes and Watson travel everywhere: from the Lyceum Theatre in the West End, to Brixton, and then finally they experience an exhilarating chase down the river Thames. If that seems too much, then you can start your journey at the official address of the detective at the Sherlock Holmes Museum, despite 221B Baker St. being fictional. There is also a statue dedicated to the beloved character on Marylebone Road. This could be a great day trip where you can hop from place to place in the iconic London black cab, imitating the great detective and his slightly reluctant sidekick.

Simply by writing this I feel like I have taken a trip through London. If you are going to explore the city, make sure to carry an umbrella as what brings Londoners together most is the certainty of rain! And for the writers out here: if you’re ever experiencing writer’s block, take a visit here to soak up the literary history that surrounds you.

TW: The books mentioned may contain triggering concepts such as suicide or insensitive racial language. If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, call the National Suicide Prevention helpline UK at 0800 689 5652. You can also reach out to the Samaritans at 116 123.

Ruby is a writer at Her Campus at the King's College London (KCL) chapter. She covers the culture aspects of the site focusing on anything from television to what to do around London. Ruby is a first year undergraduate student starting her degree in English Literature. Although this is her first year writing for Her Campus, writing has always been a passion for her, starting her own blog to review books in secondary school. She then started writing for her school magazine where she would review plays that they had been to see. Beyond Her Campus Ruby is a lover of film and reading the worst rom coms she can get her hands on! She also loves to listen to Boygenius and is of course a huge Taylor Swift fan!