Career

Leading by example: Shearman’s Opportunities for the Best and Brightest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Navigating your future is deliriously tedious, difficult, and unbelievably confusing. For current students, trying to make it through exams and tutorial work is incredibly tough, let alone attempting to decipher what the future may hold.

This is glaringly true for those wanting to pursue a career in law. With what seems like an infinite number of firms that are undoubtedly similar in excellence, expertise, and the level of competition to gain a place, it can be difficult to manage. This confusion is then exacerbated through the classification of these firms, whether it is white shoe or magic circle, US or UK.

However, as a firm that has 146 years of history and financial success, Shearman & Sterling can hopefully clarify some issues and make sure that, as a capable and talented candidate, you reach you full potential.

In recap of last week’s article that explained the historical beginnings of Shearman, Shearman, a full-service firm, was one of the 7 original Wall Street law firms founded in 1873 by Thomas Shearman. It went on to represent a portfolio of high-calibre clients, such as Jay Gould, Henry Ford, Sony, JP Morgan, and Citigroup, the latter client being loyal since 1897. 

The internal structure of the firm is also a vital part of its success. As Shearman’s UK office takes in a smaller number of trainees than magic circle firms, the 8-13 fortunate candidates they do take are able to shine solely in their own merits, instead of being drowned out in the noise of equally bright competition. Instead, these trainees have the ability to work closely with big-ticket work in a small office space, learning from the best, and develop important and sustainable relationships to better your future. 

In addition to this, Shearman operates as a single global partnership, like many other top-tier firms, with profit per equity partner being reaching roughly $2m (2018). As US firms are more structurally profitable because they are able to break into the biggest markets in the world, namely the UK and USA, their track record of fantastic work can be translated into your personal work. 

Its recent 7 years of growth and the Latin American team being recognised for their work in ‘The Legal 500’, success for bright applicants is only a few clicks away. Literally and figuratively, as all of their opportunities can be found online here.

If you are unsure on what it may be like to work at a US law firm and having several unanswered questions, a Shearman Open Day is perfect for you. Allowing you to network with lawyers, meet the graduate recruitment team, and have all your questions answered, this may be the perfect place to start. Shearman is holding Open Days on the following dates below:

• 08 January 2020 (deadline 15 December 2019)
  • 03 June 2020 (deadline 24 May 2020)

Specifically, for first year law students and second year non-law, Shearman hosts a Head Start programme to enable younger students to understand more about the firm. They will be accepting applications until 26th April 2020 and will be holding this programme on the following dates:

• 6 May 2020
  • 27 May 2020

If you are more acquainted with this firm and have your sights set on being a part of its history, there are also opportunities for you via their vacation schemes. As Shearman directly recruits trainees from vacation schemes, these programmes are extremely valuable. They also provide insight into the work the firm deals with on a daily basis and enables you to work in several practice areas. This allows you to understand more about the legal realm and allows you to appreciate their working culture. They will be held at the specified times below: 

• Winter Vacation Scheme: 2 – 13 December 2019 (deadline – 03 November 2019)
  • Spring Vacation Scheme One: 16 – 27 March 2020 (deadline – 19 January 2020)
  • Spring Vacation Scheme Two: 20 April – 01 May 2020 (deadline – 19 January 2020)
  • Summer Vacation Scheme: 15 – 26 June 2020 (deadline – 19 January 2020

An important event that is being held, just for KCL students, is a Training Contract Application & Interview Workshop on the 11th of November at their London office. With this event interrogating every part of the training contract process and providing example applications to analyse, this event is not to be missed, whether you are planning to apply to this firm or not. This event will help boost your skills and mould you into becoming a more creative, outstanding, and stellar candidate. Tickets can be found here.

As a firm that strives for greatness, excels in talent, and is exceedingly innovative (indicated from their drafting of legislation via their work with Lockheed), it is the ideal place for aspiring lawyers to leave their mark. If you aim maximise your potential and be part of the trailblazers, Shearman & Sterling is the ideal place for you.

Law student, avid writer, and all-round opinionated. Keenly interested in charity work, the world of literature, and creativity, this account will be dedicated towards creating articles filled with stories, statements, and views.
President of Her Campus KCL!