This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

I’m sure many of you are unfamiliar with Indian movies and the extravagant world of Bollywood and other Indian film industries. You may only have visions of bright, colourful dance numbers when you hear of ‘Bollywood movies’ which can be the case sometimes, but not always. I’ve tried to come up with a couple of movies that don’t fit that category and have genuinely surprised me.

English Vinglish:

This movie is probably my all-time favourite Indian movie. It has all the typical elements of your family drama, going to a foreign country not knowing the language and all the trouble that comes with that, independence and finding your own through it all – it really is special, but what makes English Vinglish so memorable and unique is Sridevi’s character. She plays the role of a typical stay-at-home mother and at first, I wasn’t sure how I would connect to this character but her journey from a naive and nervous person to being self-assured and finally gaining respect for herself made it the perfect movie for me.

Queen:

At first glance, this movie is about a girl who goes on her honeymoon alone. Crazy, right? That’s what I thought too, but this movie is so much more. Seeing the main character, Rani (translation: Queen), go from one European country to another and effortlessly make friends whilst not understanding a word of what they were saying, made this one of my favourite movies of all time. The rollercoaster of emotions she goes through, having been ditched at the altar and now having to navigate a whole new world, makes this movie, both, hilarious and incredibly wholesome. You somehow end up feeling so much pride for Rani at the end and she really inspires you to just go for it.

A Death in the Gunj:

The definition of a slow-burn. This movie explores the price some people pay for being gentle and naive. It’s set in 1979, and revolves around a family on their summer vacation. At first, I wasn’t so sure because horror isn’t generally a genre I go for, however, this had elements of drama/ thriller and made you really think about how humans interact and treat one another. Never have I finished watching a movie and felt such sadness, like I felt in this one but it also made me think about how I treat others, especially those who are likely to be taken for granted. If you like a slow-burner horror that unmasks the real face of human beings then this is perfect!

I'm a second year student studying Economics and Management and spend most of my time watching Youtube, films, reading books and writing about how I'm coping with life as a college student.