I’m An Alternative-Music-Lover In London, GET ME OUT OF HERE!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Disclaimer: This article is in no way meant to insinuate that one musical preference is better than another. Some genres of music are simply more widely accessible in the context of an external social gathering.

Calling all the musically misunderstood! Are your nights out characterised by alienation, anxiety, and not knowing what to do with your hands? Have you ever awkwardly swayed to such classics as Justin Timberlake’s SexyBack, feeling clammily, squeamishly, excruciatingly self-aware? Do you oh so shamefully endure the funereal bus-ride to the pre-drinks knowing fully well, deep within your core, that your imposter-ship is going to unintentionally bring down the mood of the whole group?

Well, if this sounds like you, don’t worry, you’re definitely not alone in the feeling. The most popular venues for revelry that London offers can leave anyone whose music taste deviates even somewhat from the mainstream feeling distinctly out of place. Many find themselves pretending to be people they are not, and nervously wondering whether anyone can see through their disguise. This outsidership, a quite literal experience of standing out in a crowd, and the quasi-masking involved in something as simple as going to a nightclub I think ties the ordeal closely to neurodivergence and disability. In my opinion, alternative forms of music imply inclusivity and heterogeneity and so accounting for these things in my reviewing of alternative venues is essential. Subsequent to several nights I would like to have permanently erased from my memory, I have explored various spots around London that claim to play music that is “underground”, “alternative”, or dare I say, “indie”. If you, too, would like to go home with your dignity intact for once, these are great options!

The Lexington – Islington

Every Friday night, atop a bustling pub, the Lexington hosts their ‘White Heat’ event, claiming to play a collection of more leftfield dance-floor hits. How true is this? Well, from my experience, there certainly are some gems played throughout the evening, although they try not to stray too far from popular culture (so essentially scatterings of Arctic Monkeys, Tame Impala, and The Strokes). As long as you’re okay with a few Dads here and there, the cohort is really cool and there’s a real sense of community – people definitely aren’t afraid to strike up a conversation or pull you up onto the raised platform. The gathering also seems to attract flocks of arts and textiles students, so I personally use it as a key source of fashion inspiration. Tickets are completely free, and, if you drink, double vodkas cost only five pounds! Whether you’re there to laugh at the lipstick messages on the loo walls or sing along to Common People, the Lexington is a fun way out of yet another Ministry of Sound purgatory. On the flip side, White Heat can only be accessed via a narrow, winding staircase, and is therefore far from mobility-friendly. 

The Windmill – Brixton

Upon stepping foot in this hidden punk haunt, one is immediately greeted by its “legendary” smell, as Tramhaus frontman Lukas Jansen so politely put it. I visited The Windmill specifically to see the Rotterdam-based band’s first ever gig in the UK and the location certainly lived up to its reputation. It boasts live music every night, famous for hosting such names as Black Country, New Road or Squid in their earliest days. The cramped, compactness of the space has the potential to be quite overstimulating, but lends itself to a dense crowd and a mosh pit if that’s what you’re into. As a smaller female, I found that once things became more violent, I was forced to slink out of the mob for fear of getting trampled, although again this is really a preference issue. Another thing to note as a woman attending, at least based on my experience, is that there is little-to-no access to the women’s loo and, as a result, I had to use the men’s (shocking I know). However, overall, this venue is super easy to get to by bus and a really cool place that plays host to a real range of patrons.

Jazzlive at the Crypt – Camberwell

Hear me out, this is Jazz beneath a Church. Is it even possible for something to be more gothic? If you’re looking for a more sophisticated evening, or to rest your vocal chords, this is an excellent choice. For less than £10 with their student discount, you can indulge your vampiric fantasies, sipping a glass of red at one of their (usually) Friday night concerts. It’s a good idea to get there early to secure a table, especially if you’re thinking of ordering food. In terms of accessibility, this time we’re not on the second floor, but down in the basement, and this does unfortunately require attendees to descend a flight of steep, stone steps with the aid of a mere handrail. 

Moth Club – Hackney

Walking around in Hackney, one cannot feasibly miss Moth Club, marked on the side with what is truly an enormous poppy. A moth to a lamp, I was drawn to this venue when Heavy Lungs played there in September, supported by Gallus (a Scots band!). This retro space is easily accessed, with a few booths to sit down if need be, and allows patrons to be distributed more sparsely. Therefore, when the audience got rowdy, it wasn’t difficult for me to step back a bit. I could even escape to a lovely pink bathroom – yes please! A highlight of the event was definitely the bar, I am not ashamed enough to say, which served nice pints that were fairly cheap. 

Dublin Castle – Camden

This family-run pub in the heart of Camden has been an absolute staple of London indie culture for decades. It’s famous for hosting the likes of The Killers, Blur, and Amy Winehouse before their careers properly took off and continues to have a vibrant backroom in which lesser-known artists play, such as The Blinders. On that note, the backroom is miniscule and the sound-system is incredibly loud, so earplugs, and a pre-gig loo-trip are vital! With walls laden with memorabilia, a buzzing atmosphere, and even a jukebox, this is one of my top recommendations.

Blondies – Clapton

Many might call this the best rock and metal dive bar in London. Think: motorcycles, leather jackets, neon signs. Founded by a pair of Australian sisters, Blondies is a particularly good option for female rock-fans, thanks to their no-tolerance sexism policy. Their nights are almost always packed and loads of fun, including their live-music Thursdays. One downside is that, due to the small size of the bar, it’s common to wait outside for a while, or to not get in at all. But never fear! Down the road the Clapton Hart, with peeling walls and antique furniture offers refuge from the night, and also plays its fair share of alternative tunes.

The World’s End Pub

Most people have heard of this location on account of its eye-catching name, but it is definitely worth a visit. Quite literally opposite Camden station, this pub is a magnet for alternative crowds, perhaps due in part to the tale that ghosts and phantoms reside within its walls. If not spectral, the venue harbours at least one real secret: the Underworld club. The pub basement, which again I must admit is only accessible by stairs, is home to a gig space in which bands like The Cranberries, Smashing Pumpkins, and Radiohead have all played. When a gig isn’t going on, the Underworld plays exclusively alternative music classics. If the Underworld doesn’t sound like you, the pub itself, its unusual layout and copper centrepiece, warrants an outing.

If you’ve been feeling a little ostracised due to your music taste, or just want to step out of your comfort zone and try something new, I highly recommend that you make a trip to one of these venues. They were presented in no particular order so I advise that you check out whichever stand out most to you! 

Myrtle is a writer for the KCL chapter of HerCampus, specifically creating articles tailored to the Life section. Her pieces focus on a plethora of different topics, ranging from seasonal advice to discussions about life as a whole, and all the messes and rays of light that make it up. Myrtle is mid-way through her first year at KCL, hoping to complete a BA English Literature degree. In the years prior, she worked as a tutor at Explore Learning, whilst also volunteering as a teaching assistant at Aldgate Primary School. Simultaneously, she was taking A-Levels in English Literature, Religion, Philosophy & Ethics, and Classical Civilisations. Her take on Ovid's Metamorphosis, approaching the text through a feminist lens, appeared in her college's Classics newsletter and she critically investigated the lack of intersectionality in Sylvia Plath's feminism in her Extended Project Qualification. After graduating, Myrtle aims to pursue her personal passion for creative writing in post-graduate study. In her spare time, Myrtle loves playing the guitar, and singing with her band members, for whom she is the lyricist. She is obsessed with all things cat, and going on Moorland hikes and cycle-trips with her family. Naturally, as an English student, Myrtle spends a great deal of time reading, her guilty pleasure being Stephen King novels, especially 'The Stand'.