Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash
Style > Fashion

How to Thrift the Perfect Outfit for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

The holidays are the best part of the year for some. Gathering with your loved ones, eating good food, and welcoming the new year. However, for those of us who are more fashion-minded, finding the right outfit(s) takes up a massive part of our energy in the run-up to these big events. That’s why I’m going to give you my fail-proof method of sourcing the perfect outfit.

step one: out with the old, in with the new

Whenever I buy myself a new outfit, I make sure to look through my wardrobe first to see what I don’t wear. If I haven’t worn it in the last six months, I either re-gift it to a friend or donate it to a local women’s shelter or charity shop. Overconsumption is something we should all try and avoid, especially during the holiday season, and it helps you figure out your personal style and whether you’ve bought items because you genuinely like them or simply because they were trending.

STEP TWO: location, location, location

Finding a good thrift store is notoriously hard in the UK, especially for those living in smaller areas, but I tend to visit charity shops in areas with people who are well-off. Now that I’m in London, they’re much easier to come across. Consider your price range, your personal taste, and the quality/brands you’re looking for. I’d recommend Rokit Covent Garden or Beyond Retro, but there are hidden gems everywhere and online, too. Ask friends, flatmates, or locals for their personal favourites.

Step three: making a list, checking it twice

Like I said earlier, only buying stuff you need and will actually wear is very important when it comes to shopping sustainably. Browse Pinterest for inspiration, figure out what makes you feel good, and go from there. Do you want to stick to more traditional Holiday colours? Do you prefer wearing dresses on nights out? Will you wear it again, or will it be a one-time outfit? Know what you’re looking for or you’ll feel overwhelmed once you get there.

step four: sew talented

If you’ve found something you love but it doesn’t quite fit perfectly, either take it to a tailor or watch some online tutorials and attempt it yourself (if you’re brave enough, I know I’m not!). If altering vintage clothes isn’t your vibe, mess around with some pins or try to style it with another item that makes it look more flattering on you. Make sure to be considerate of other thrifters though, try and stick to your size.

And there you go! Thrifting is harder than it seems on paper, so take these tips with a pinch of salt, but hopefully, you can use them to find yourself outfits that make you feel like you. Happy holidays!

Hi! My name is Tanisha Ascott (they/she) and I’m a first year English student at KCL. I’m a fan of everything from interior design, to historical / contemporary fashion, to political issues. You’ll most likely find me crying over Pride & Prejudice (2005) if I’m not in the library.