Life > Experiences

How To Make The Most Out Of Being A Student In London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

When I first moved to London at the end of September, I felt sad and depressed even though I was living in one of the best cities in the world. The first semester of university was quite hard for me, because I did not put enough effort into exploring, meeting people, and just enjoying life in London. Over the holidays, I decided to change this for the second semester, and so if you are reading this and you also felt overwhelmed and in a negative mindset when you moved to London, this article will help you.

The first thing you need to do is sit down and remember why you decided to move to London in the first place. I sometimes forget that moving to this amazing city was my dream and that I was able to fulfill it. Learn to be grateful and enjoy where you are even though sometimes it is tough.

The second semester started a few weeks ago and my life as a student completely changed. I forced myself to go out there, explore London, not stay in my room all day, and cry. Try to be in a positive mindset, try to enjoy the little things. Go to a park for some fresh air and sunlight, Holland Park or Hyde Park are some of my favourites. Walking in parks, seeing nature is something I was not doing enough in the first semester and I promise it changes your life. Breathing some fresh air, going away from the city life for a while can be very regenerating. London has so much to offer, you have to try it all.

Another thing that you should try is to have a balanced week, not work every single day or party every single night. What I changed in my everyday life this semester, is that I try to study from Monday to Friday, and then I enjoy my weekend without studying. During the week, I like to study in the Maughan Library located in Strand, which without realising it makes me explore London and look at its breathtaking view when I cross the Waterloo Bridge on my way there. If you have a library or a cafe next to where you live, I suggest that you try and go study there instead of locking yourself in your room. On the weekend, I try to go to parks and enjoy nature, but also experience a bit of nightlife, we are students after all. I know going out can be exhausting but if you go once a week you will feel really good after and proud of yourself for going. It is also a good way to meet new people and maybe make new friends :)

Try food places, restaurants, bars, cafes, we are in London, there is so much to try. I suggest going out to eat at least once a week, having a break from cooking and eating pasta at every meal is amazing. You could go to Covent Garden which is such a cute place to eat, and so many options to choose from.

Go visit museums, London has tons of them such as the Tate, the National Gallery, the Natural History Museum, among many others. If you like to read, I suggest going to Waterstones which is my favourite bookshop here.

The point is, there are things for everyone, you are definitely going to find something you like to do in London. Being a student is not only working and studying all night, it is also enjoying being alone, meeting new people, exploring London which is now your new home.

Flore Boitel is a writer at Her Campus at the King's College London (KCL) chapter. She writes for the Life section of the chapter but also writes for Entertainment whenever she is able to. She is a French student, who moved to London for her studies. Flore is completing her final year at KCL, studying towards a BA English degree. Last year she was the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus KCL and oversaw all the articles that were published for that 2022-2023 academic year. She is also a student ambassador at KCL and part of the cheerleading team. Beyond Her Campus, Flore's interests include literature, cheerleading, music (R&B), drinking hot chocolate while watching Gilmore Girls, and going on runs around London. She is also an adept of travelling and was able to study abroad at the University of Pennsylvania, and lived in 5 different countries.