Wellness

Homeless for the Holidays- What You Can Do to Help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Christmas is fast approaching and with the lights starting to turn on and the markets beginning to open it can be hard not to get excited. It’s also easy to forget that an estimated 42000 London families will be homeless over the Holidays, with average temperatures dropping below 5 degrees Celsius this year. This holiday season there are many ways to help ease difficulties for people living on the streets; let me share some with you. 

This first one is simple but it can do so much to lift someone’s spirit. Consider buying a meal for a person in need. If you want to take this one step further and maybe get a group involved you can prepare meals at home to distribute. This is a great activity to get friends involved with or maybe a church/school group. If you have the means and the time this can make a small difference this year for someone in need. For those lucky enough not to struggle with food insecurity it can be easy to forget the importance of a warm meal.

For those interested in volunteer opportunities, ‘Crisis at Christmas‘ can always use a helping hand throughout December and January. They strive to bring some holiday spirit to those living on the street by giving them a bed and food during these difficult months. Their hostels and soup kitchens need to be run by dedicated volunteers. Many roles require no prior experience but if you have a special skill set that can be of use there are also specific services available, like health checks and haircuts. For more information and to sign up for volunteer opportunities check out their website: Click here.

Donate lots of warm clothes, especially socks. With cold and rainy weather, socks are the number one item individuals living on the street ask for. To make a donation, look out for collection boxes in your area, maybe in your school or apartment building. If you can’t locate one, then organisations like ‘We collect We donate’ organise collections and make sure your clothes make it to those in need. They cover lots of London postcodes and especially appreciate donations made over the holiday season. By donating your clothes you’re not only helping someone in need but looking out for the planet and reducing waste. So, take the time to look through your clothes for unwanted items this year.

Last but not least, pay attention to the officials elected in your area. Homelessness has become an increasingly political issue, and some policies are more beneficial than others. Whilst the holidays are an especially difficult time, homelessness is a year-round issue and deserves attention in every season.

A little can go a long way for someone in need, so enjoy your holiday and help others to enjoy theirs this year!

Grace Honan is the treasurer of the Her Campus chapter at King's College London. She oversees the budget for the group, and helps with recruiting and onboarding new writers and editors. This year she is focused on expanding the community of Her Campus and creating a safe space for its members. She enjoys writing articles centred around wellness, technology, and uni life. Grace is in her second year of undergraduate study at King's College London in the liberal arts program; her major is Politics and she is pursuing a minor in media. While this is only her second year writing for Her Campus, she has been writing for years, getting her start at her High School newspaper. When she is not writing she enjoys watching true crime documentaries and listening to sad songs. She has two cats, but if she had it her way she would have a snake too.