Style > Beauty

Glossier: The New York brand taking the beauty world by storm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

If you haven’t yet heard of this cruelty-free and body inclusive beauty brand, either through your trend-obsessed bestie or your favourite Instagramer’s feed, then where have you really been in 2017? (I’m serious, like where have you been girl?) Once seen as the go-to skincare/makeup range for ‘cool girls’ (with fans including Phoebe Tonkin and Miranda Kerr) Glossier’s cult status has completely transformed the way we view beauty. Glossier’s emphasis on skincare first, makeup second, and to smile always makes it totally possible to embrace the skin you’re in, regardless of your skin tone or type. I was completely sold by their super cute pink packaging, and their amazing London pop-up earlier in July. Glossier officially released in the UK on 09 October, so I’m counting down my top-five Glossier products so far, and why you need to try them.

1) Balm Dotcom

This is the universal skin salve that was recently spotted on both Vince Vaughan and Jeff Bauman (yes you read that correctly, men can wear it too!), and incredibly, it comes in different tints and flavours. Here, the original long-lasting formula is fragrance-free and super hydrating for even the driest skin types. You can apply it to your lips and even knees/elbows – basically anywhere that needs some serious moisture. Packed with antioxidants and skin-goodness, it has a waxy finish, so apply sparingly and you’re good to go!

2) Haloscopes: Moonstone, Quartz and Topaz

Don’t you just love how Glossier comes up with naming their products? Named after beautiful earth stones with astrological/mythical properties, Glossier’s stick highlighters work brilliantly to give your cheekbones, eyebrow arch, bridge of your nose an amazing glow. The three shades can be worn separately, (or all at once!) and leave different coloured shades. The Moonstone is perfect for fairer complexions as it has a pearly shimmer, the Quartz is a rosier, champagne glow, and the Topaz is a perfect highlighting bronzer with a rich, earthy tone. I would definitely suggest playing around with whichever combination suits you best, but either way, their easy and tidy stick applicators leave behind the perfect ‘halo’ effect.

3) Glossier serums: Super Bounce and Super Pure

Okay, admittedly I haven’t tried the third serum of another kick-ass Glossier trio, the Super Glow – but my experiences with the Super Bounce and Super Pure are enough to convince me that I need all three in my life. The serums are all different in composition so they have different functions –the Super Pure is formulated with Niacinamide and Zinc (the two key ingredients for soothing and anti-redness), while the Super Bounce contains Hyaluronic acid and Vitamin B5, that quite literally plump and soften your skin. They apply like a dream (think magical potion) and leave behind a wonderful, healthy glow.

4) Priming Moisturiser

If there ever was a wonder product that worked to hydrate your skin well, soothe inflammation and redness, and create an effective base/barrier for your foundation to go over, it’s this one. Glossier’s Priming Moisturiser is a godsend as it suits all skin types, getting rid of the dryness that can cause your foundation flake later in the day. Did I mention that it makes your pores less visible too? Because it really does! It goes without saying that you can wear this Priming Moisturiser on its own too, for a simple makeup-free day.

5) Milky Jelly Cleanser

Topping the list is the champ of all facial cleansers: Glossier’s Milky Jelly Cleanser. It’s non-irritating (so yes, you can remove that stubborn waterproof mascara without any pain!), and lightly smells like roses. Its literal jelly texture means that you can gently apply it directly over dry skin, or you can choose to dampen your face first. And try this test – dry your face with a white towel because it seriously removes ALL of your makeup. It’s the cleanser I use in the AM and PM, and its gentleness combined with cruelty-free status (as all Glossier products are CF!) means that I’m never looking back. Ask any Glossier fan what their holy-grail product is, and it’s most likely to be the Milky Jelly Cleanser.

Glossier launched online in the UK on 09 October 2017.

Liz is a 22 year old English Literature student at KCL. She currently resides in Hampstead with her boyfriend, and has a tabby cat named Luna. Liz loves French New Wave cinema, 90's shoegaze music, floral design and hoarding beauty products. You'll probably catch her in a quiet bookshop with a hot chocolate, dreaming at a Curzon cinema or feasting at a dim sum joint in Chinatown.  
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.