This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Why you should study abroad!

When I applied to university, I already knew I wanted to do a semester abroad. When it was finally time to apply, I worked hard with one of my friends on our applications, trying to ensure that we got into our first choice. While applying I was going to put the University of Sydney as my first choice but ended up putting the University of Pennsylvania on impulse. I thought there was no way I would get in since there were only 2 spaces available for the entire school. The application process was pretty straightforward, they just wanted to see that we did our research and were motivated. I had to write a few essays on why I chose UPenn as my first preference institution, list the approximate costs and how I would fund my semester abroad, and write down classes that I would be interested in taking as well as accommodation options.

After submitting my application in May 2022, I waited until mid-July to hear back from KCL Study Abroad. I received the email while on a boat in Palma de Mallorca. I was so scared to open the email, but I was even more surprised to see that I got into UPenn!

I immediately texted my friend thinking she got in as well, but she ended up getting into UC Berkley instead. I realised a few weeks after getting in, that I was the only one going to UPenn from King’s. The thought of having to go abroad alone was so scary that I started debating going. I still completed the UPenn application since you have to apply to both KCL and the university you got allocated to. After receiving the official email saying I got accepted, I took care of all the administrative procedures even though I was still unsure of going. I had been to Philadelphia before and so I knew beforehand that it was not the safest city in the USA, which made me even more anxious.

After countless changes of mind, I ended up going, telling myself it was only a semester and I would regret not going. How glad I am that I did! To anyone who is scared of making this decision, please go! You will have the best time of your life!

After a visa appointment, $1000 spent on flights, and two suitcases packed, it was time to leave. After spending Christmas at home, I flew from Paris straight to Philly. Long story short I spent the best 5 months of my life there and I am more than glad I went. I was able to live on campus, attend basketball games, go to frat parties, and be taught by amazing professors. I was able to take wonderful classes that were not available at my home university, such as a King Arthur module or a Young Adult Literature one. I became friends with people from Australia, Ireland, Spain, and the Netherlands, I am still in contact with them to this day. We went ice skating, visited museums, went to the Rocky steps, and spent the spring break in the beach town of Charleston. Overall, I had an amazing experience and would do it all again if I had the option.

It is more than just a semester in a different school, it is a semester in a different country, which means you can travel, and meet people from different countries. I took this opportunity and travelled to DC, NY and Charleston. I met amazing people from all over the world, who became friends for life.

Flore Boitel is a writer at Her Campus at the King's College London (KCL) chapter. She writes for the Life section of the chapter but also writes for Entertainment whenever she is able to. She is a French student, who moved to London for her studies. Flore is completing her final year at KCL, studying towards a BA English degree. Last year she was the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus KCL and oversaw all the articles that were published for that 2022-2023 academic year. She is also a student ambassador at KCL and part of the cheerleading team. Beyond Her Campus, Flore's interests include literature, cheerleading, music (R&B), drinking hot chocolate while watching Gilmore Girls, and going on runs around London. She is also an adept of travelling and was able to study abroad at the University of Pennsylvania, and lived in 5 different countries.