The French-Inspired ‘Cool Girl’ Fashion Brands We’re All In Love With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

If you’ve been active on Instagram in the last few months, then you may have noticed a particular trend returning within the world of fashion. Seen on the likes of celebrities such as Kaia Gerber, Selena Gomez, and Emily Ratajkowski, the resurgence of the French Riviera aesthetic inspired by the 1970s has been extensive this year. Long gone are the days where you had to carefully coordinate your outfit and have impeccable hair and makeup too. The current look now is carefree, messy, low-maintenance and incredibly chic. Thanks to the following fashion brands, we can all feel like the main star of a French New Wave film, and embody the effortless ‘je ne sais quoi’ of elusively cool French It-girls.

1) Réalisation Par

A post shared by Réalisation Par (@realisationpar) on

Where to begin with Réalisation? This Aussie brand absolutely nails the French look and has been coveted by A-list celebs, VS models, and many more on Instagram. Why is it so popular? Its simple catalogue, its super relaxed campaign shots, the stripped-back and no-makeup look that it’s often paired with, and the flirty tongue-in-cheek character of the pieces will have you feeling like Jane Birkin. Check out the Alexandra sundress and the 70’s inspired Bianca top for major inspo.

2) Rouje

A post shared by Rouje By Jeanne Damas (@rouje) on

Designed by France’s own It-girl Jeanne Damas, Rouje is a classy yet casual brand that encapsulates the chicness of its birthplace, Paris. Rouje has sophisticated and fabulous all-round pieces that also extend to a collection of accessories such as faux fur coats and black Mary Jane pumps. We can totally see Anna Karina wandering through the Musée d’Orsay or Latin Quarter fully kitted in this label!

3) With Jéan

A post shared by With Jéan (@withjean) on

Surprisingly, With Jéan is yet another Aussie brand that manages to really bring out our French Riviera dreams to life. With various pieces to complement your denim, take your time to peruse their casual collection of sundresses, wrap tops and 1970s blouses to channel your inner Brigitte Bardot. Check out their enviable Instagram feed here!

4) Sézane

A post shared by SÉZANE (@sezane) on

France’s first online-only fashion brand (yes you read that correctly!), Sézane offers a great range of superb casual-to-smart comfort for real Parisian style. Whether you’re looking for a great leather handbag or a killer pair of ankle boots, Sézane is the go-to place for looking effortless and on-point all at once, so if Caroline de Maigret is your fashion icon, head down to the Sézane Christmas pop-up in London while you can! (Open until 23 December 2017)

5) The Reformation

A post shared by Reformation (@reformation) on

Last but certainly not least on our list, meet The Reformation, a US-based label with an emphasis on sustainable fashion and minimising environmental impact. Here you’ll find a wonderful variety of dresses, jumpsuits, power pieces and groovy tops (as well as everything else) to dress like Louise Follain. Be sure to check out their fun Instagram page for their super stylish range.

There are absolutely tons of inspiration we could gather from French fashion labels like Sandro, Claudie Pierlot, Majé and Iro to name a few, but we’d like to know your favourites! Comment down below to have your say!

Liz is a 22 year old English Literature student at KCL. She currently resides in Hampstead with her boyfriend, and has a tabby cat named Luna. Liz loves French New Wave cinema, 90's shoegaze music, floral design and hoarding beauty products. You'll probably catch her in a quiet bookshop with a hot chocolate, dreaming at a Curzon cinema or feasting at a dim sum joint in Chinatown.  
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.