This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

The five love languages are different ways of expressing love, whether that be in a romantic relationship or in pretty much every relationship. Each of us has one language that speaks to us the most. We feel most loved when we are spoken to in our language. Love languages can help you understand yourself and your significant other better and help you know how you can make them feel loved. 

Here is an overview of the five love languages:

1. Words of Affirmation 

People with words of affirmation as their love language feel most loved through verbal acknowledgements of affections, compliments, words of appreciation, reassurance and encouragement. If this is your partner’s love language, say or text something nice to them today.

2. Quality Time

People with quality time as their love language feel best when spending time with their partner and love when their partner wants to spend time with them. If this is your partner’s love language, plan a date with them. This could be cooking a meal together, having dinner, taking a stroll around the park, going on a picnic and many more.

3. Acts of Service

People with acts of service as their love language feel most loved when their partner does something for them. This could be simple things such as bringing coffee to their bed when they wake up, picking up their dry cleaning or cooking a meal for them. These people believe actions speak louder than words.

4. Gifts

These people feel the most loved when receiving gifts. Gifts for them are a visual symbol of love. It’s not about the monetary value, but about the symbolic value. So if this is your partner’s love language, think of something special to them that would make them happy; this can be small and even selfmade.

5. Physical Touch

People with physical touch as their love language feel most loved when they receive physical signs of affection such as kissing, hugging, cuddling and being intimate. They value the warmth and comfort that comes with being touched.

To find out which love language speaks to you the most, you can take this test: 

https://www.5lovelanguages.com/quizzes/

If you want to learn more about the five love languages there are plenty of resources and also books where you can read about them.

Hi, my name is Chiara and I am a freshman at KCL, studying Culture, Media and Creative industries. I'm from Switzerland and love all things outdoors, such as figure-skating and skiing. In addition to that, I love writing and hope to have a career in journalism!