This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

If you’re anything like me then you might be finding it difficult to summon up some time to read books just because you love them when you have to spend so much time reading books because your uni syllabus says so. Some of those required texts might be great, but we all know there are others that are a chore to finish and it can make the idea of picking up another book, even one from genre you love, difficult. So here are three top tips for falling in love with reading again:

1) Go to a bookshop

Amazon is cheap and convenient and sometimes that’s wonderful, but it denies you the opportunity to walk the aisles of a bookshop and find that one cover that speaks to you. We are blessed with several flagship bookstores here in London, multiple stories high and packed full of every book you could imagine. So, find your way to Waterstones Piccadilly or Foyles and go for a wander. Look for a beautiful cover, read the reviews often pinned to shelves, talk to the staff about what they’d recommend, or check out the displays of new or relevant books on tables. There’s nothing better than being in an environment that celebrates how wonderful reading can be!

2) Try something new

Usually read only fiction books? Pick up some non-fiction, or maybe try a graphic novel. Even within the fiction category there are 100 different genres for you to explore. YA novels often have more interesting characters, crime novels are good for the Sherlock in you. Maybe try reading a play script or two. If you’re a fan of a particular film or TV show, look up any books that might have inspired it or turn to the nonfiction volumes about its creation. You might find yourself falling in love with a genre you’ve never even thought about trying before.

For a great non-fiction read I recommend The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America’s Shining Women by Kate Moore, and for a wonderfully fun (and inclusive!) graphic novel, try the ongoing Lumberjanes series by Noelle Stevenson. Hopefully you love them as much as I did!

3) Schedule time to read

Uni life is a rewarding one, but undeniably a busy one. The weeks seem to come and go with the blink of an eye and suddenly you realise it’s been almost a month and you haven’t finished a non-course related book. Set aside some time, whether it be on a daily or weekly basis, to settle down under a blanket with a nice hot drink and a good book and appreciate some stress-free you time.

Nothing ever beats a great book, so use these tips and fall back in love with reading!

King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.