Career

Engage with King’s AND Get Paid for It: Student Ambassador Roles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Do you want to become engaged with your university, be employed, and have the opportunity to make a change? If you answered yes, then the Student Ambassador scheme may be something that you’d be interested in.

The role of a student ambassador is definitely a rewarding one and it’s a position that a select number of us are privileged with. The scheme is in place to provide employment for students throughout the year and allows those chosen to develop skills, socialise and have fun. There are a range of streams under the Student Ambassador scheme: Social Mobility, Campus Tour Guide, Higher Education Liaison Representative (HELR), Subject Ambassador and Outreach for Medicine Ambassador.

This October commences my third and final year of being a student ambassador. I have had an amazing time while on the scheme and have thoroughly enjoyed every moment with a department and colleagues who I can now call friends. And it’s because of this that I want you to have the opportunity to experience the joy I have had.

So, why should you become a student ambassador? What are the benefits?

The ambassador scheme is first and foremost a chance to represent your college on and off campus. Once on the programme, student ambassadors are given the responsibility to represent King’s to visitors and colleagues – an opportunity that students sometimes miss out on during their time studying.

-> Flexibility

You’re committed to a zero-hour contract so that means you don’t have to do a set number of hours across a week. Your studies are still your priority! The only requirement is for you to work a minimum of 8 hours for the entirety of the year. You have the flexibility to choose when it is most suitable for you. The online system, known as SAMs, is a simple way to apply to shifts that are available to be worked.

-> Network

Be a part of a family. You’ll be working closely with your King’s College peers from all disciplines and backgrounds, and interacting with individuals or groups of people that you may not be able to outside the bubble of your course of study. Create close friendships and network with others!

-> Develop Skills

On the scheme you meet a range of people from different backgrounds and together you’re all able to develop and discover new skill sets. Just as an example: Your communication skills are tested as you’re required to work cohesively with your colleagues and must be coherent when you’re given tasks to address visitors to the college – especially if the visitors may be younger children.

This really helps with enhancing your CV with the ambassador programme providing practical work experience for future employment following graduation.

-> Opportunities

There is a plethora of opportunities that arise from being a student ambassador.

You could potentially be part of exclusive workshops and talks while on the job, from organisations such as LinkedIn, Penguin Random House, Ernest Young and the Royal Courts of Justice. While at these companies you also have the great opportunity to network with professions in the field and may be able to help with your steps to your future career. Moreover, you get access to exclusive training throughout the year, the chance to undertake cultural trips to museums, the London Eye, the Shard – and also several trips to Pizza Express… for free…

King’s is now also officially recognising the contribution of student ambassadors for the college and participation with the scheme will be awarded with the mention of student ambassador roles in your degree script.

-> Rewarding

And while all the other benefits I’ve talked about today are wonderful, this is the aspect in which I find the most important.

Being a student ambassador is completely and utterly rewarding in itself without all the added bonuses. You’re in a unique position where you can help so many people and be a small (or large) part of their journey to their future – and is there anything really that wonderful? On certain streams of ambassador roles, you can sometimes see the development of individuals as they grow and are shaped by their experiences and lessons that you’re a part of too.

A student ambassador is often regarded the mouth piece for the student body at kings – especially for external visitors. And this means that we’re one of the first points of contacts with the public – during open days we’re asked about our own experiences and stories and this can have a massive impact – I know it did on me. And while it is hard work sometimes, I would not give anything up for the little family, that’s slowly expanding that I’ve made on the ambassador scheme – and I hope you can join us soon.

Deadline for applications for Student Ambassador roles close very soon, so make sure not to miss out! Applications can be found here: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/student-life/student-ambassadors.aspx

Avid napper and English student at King's College London that procrastinates from writing by - well, writing. South London native.
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.