This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

The physical decolonisation of many states across the world may have taken place, but this does not mean that the unequal power relations between the global North and global South have been severed. In fact, they remain, and in some ways stronger than ever, upholding inequality in the global South.

The term postcolonial can be used to explain this situation: the term refers to the “aftermath” of colonialism, the situations and problems that have followed colonisation and decolonisation.

Firstly, one massive issue that remains is the colonisation of the mind. Physical decolonisation has occurred, but the unequal perceptions and beliefs about the two entities pervade, and are powerful enough to have material consequences. As Edward Said (1978) argued, when western people look at the non-western world, what they see is often more a mirror image of themselves and their own assumption rather than the reality of what is really there. This is a huge problem, as acting on perceptions that aren’t true creates inequality, because these perceptions themselves are derogatory and critical.

The decolonisation of the mind then pervades all social, economic and political issues in the world, infiltrating decision making, policy and social acceptance. There are many examples, perhaps migrants, who are viewed as uncivilised, barbaric and dirty. These assumptions were used to justify conquering states in colonial times and are now used to justify unfair and inhumane policy towards groups of migrants. The irony is that their need to migrate stems from the unequal situation that colonialism left them in.

A postcolonial mindset also highlights the inequality that pervades the process of globalisation. Rather than equally serving the world, the processes of globalisation, socially, culturally and economically, are forms of neo-colonialism, upholding and creating unequal opportunities for the global South, whilst exploiting these countries to serve the needs of the global North. Take sweatshops. These exploit people, but the intention behind this remains serving the economies and consumer communities in the global North.

Understanding postcolonialism can combine analyses of history with the processes of subjective experience which people actually undergo. We must be committed to social and political transformation on a global scale, forging links between intellectual activism, and local political practices. One of the most important requirements is a restructuring of education. This is vital in order to dig out the roots of prejudice and inferior assumptions so that we are equipped with a truer and more equal perception of the world, and importantly, the value of diversity.

Jasmin Arciero

K College '21

I am a Liberal Arts Student, majoring in Geography, studying in London.
hahsghqs