This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Moving away from home to go to uni is never easy. You’re suddenly pushed into a new city, and you have to create new habits and a new life for yourself. Experiencing homesickness is a major part of moving away and there is nothing more normal than to feel this strange mix of longing, melancholy and absence that one inevitably feels when moving to uni. Whether you’re a fresher, a returning student, or starting your postgraduate studies, homesickness affects a large majority of us, especially after spending so much time at home during lockdown this Spring and Summer. Here are a few tips and tricks on how to help soothe this feeling of longing. 

1. Watch a movie

person holding a remote control pointed at TV streaming netflix
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

Try to find a movie set in your home town, city or country and watch it. There’s something special about seeing your home through the eyes of the filmmaker. How is she/he portraying your home? Can you spot the places you love to go to? Is there something special about your home that the filmmaker has managed to capture? Sometimes when you miss a certain place, it’s nice to see it filmed, full of life and a part of a story. It’s a reminder that it’s always been there, and it will still be as it is when you get to come home. So grab some popcorn and a comfy blanket and enjoy!

2. Facetime (but not too much!)

Spending some time with friends or family from home is key. This may be particularly hard in the beginning, but as you grow more used to the distance, it’s reassuring to go back to the people who are from the same place as you and can understand your homesickness. Don’t be afraid to be vulnerable with them about your homesickness, they miss you as much as you miss them. Maintaining communication with them is a big part of maintaining that bond to your home, even if you’re far away. 

3. Connect with other students 

Two Women on Balcony
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

Get out there and meet some new people. Uni is the perfect place to form new bonds and make new friends. It’s nice to meet people that come from the same place you do, it will help you maintain that bond with home while you’re away even more and they can become the people that can relate to what you’re feeling the most. It’s also important to meet people that have a completely different background and life experience to you. They’re probably experiencing homesickness the same way you are and are probably just as overwhelmed with the novelty of it all.

4. Get cooking

Whatever your favourite meal from home is, make it! I promise this will make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside and if you make a little extra to share, your flatmates will love you for it. Putting a little TLC into a home cooked meal is so worth it and is the perfect remedy when you’re in need of some comfort.

5. Discover your new city

Girl On Rooftop Nyc
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Moving to a new city or country is already an accomplishment in and of itself and it can be overwhelming. Take it easy, but don’t forget to take it all in. Stay busy. Go see the sights, the popular ones and the not-so-popular ones. Taste the food, experience the culture and get a sense of what the city’s all about. Enjoy it. Distracting yourself in a positive and productive way can really help whenever you’re feeling homesick. Take yourself to a museum, go for a walk, go to a local cafe or whatever it is you feel like doing.

All in all, homesickness sucks but you’re not alone when it comes to having to deal with it. It’s okay to be sad or to long to be in the comfort of your own home. Remember to surround yourself with positive people who can listen to you and can relate to what you’re going through. That said, don’t let your homesickness hold you back from doing some amazing things. There is so much out there for you to see and do that it would be a shame to miss out. And remember, Winter break is right around the corner, you’ll be back home before you know it. 

Venice is a 21 year old Masters student from France. She is currently pursuing a Masters degree in Intelligence and International Security at King's College London after having finished her BA in International Relations at the University of Sussex in July 2020. She is passionate about old French films, travelling and tacos.
hahsghqs