This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

“Oh, please. It’s just, I don’t know…drizzling”, is the perpetual sentiment of anyone living in Britain, and most aptly expressed than none other than the fictional Empress of fashion herself, Miranda Priestley. Yet, while (literal) darkness embarks the end 2019’s semester, KCL’s Public Awareness and Social Services (PASS) Society illuminated the end of the Winter season with their annual Colours of Life Fashion Show. 

While this legacy event revels in the success of running in its 11th year, its acclimatisation to demands of sustainable fashion is nothing-short of inspirational. This year, all funds, exceeding more than £1,000 in a sold-out show, are going to Greenpeace UK. With the help of students, such as yourself, the fashion show has broken precedence and helped to turn the tides of fashion into an eco-friendly movement. 

In the age of supreme environmental awareness, from the likes of inspiring figures such as Caroline Lucas and Hasan Minhaj, the need to do good for our planet is imperative. This is more than true for Greenpeace UK. Its establishment in 1969 continues to grow globally, with their history of climate and social justice including battling whaling in Norway, to revealing large corporations’ involvement in deforestation. Alongside their Dirty Laundry Report (2011) and ‘Detox Fashion’ (2013) campaigns, it was clear that both Greenpeace UK and KCL PASS were on a mission to reduced waste in an industry that affects us all.  

This year, the Colours of Life fashion show embodies the theme of Limitless. Showcasing a range of novice and professional designers, this particular collection includes designers that are committed to reducing waste, reusing material, and ensuring that their designs are environmentally oriented. The fantastic line-up includes:

• An Original Leroy: perpetuating an image that is bold, glamorous and show-stopping, its creativity is a dream and aspiration. Showcasing a mirage of bright, colourful, and unapologetic clothing, as AOL states, their collections are truly for the ‘risk-takers.’ (Natasha Wright)

• Ardill Larosi

• Gung Ho Designs: Sophie Dunster 

• Just Harry Designs : Harriet McHugh

• S1NM Maria Rehman

• Notch.London (Evening)

• Sakura: Anna Cernohorska

• The Jacket Company: Bianca De Silva

• Tees of Solidaritee 

• Indie Bride London: Miina Laitsaari

The continuous successful of Colours of Life is momentous. Consecutively improving the world, the society’s ability to bring us together as a community is a rare experience. Their ability to create fundamental is a rare but fundamental effort, and their track-record will inevitably only improve. As a viewer, it was a privilege to witness and be a part of. And on behalf of the King’s and wider community, we thank the Colours of Life Committee  for their unrivalled work. 

Law student, avid writer, and all-round opinionated. Keenly interested in charity work, the world of literature, and creativity, this account will be dedicated towards creating articles filled with stories, statements, and views.
President of Her Campus KCL!