Chasing Northern Lights In Norway: An Ultimate Guide For First-time Aurora Hunters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Sitting under the starry night sky, holding a hot drink in hand, and chatting with travellers across the globe – I witnessed the most magical night of my entire life.

Motivated by the desire to see the mysterious Northern Lights, my friend and I embarked on a journey to Norway during our winter vacation. One month before setting off for Tromsø, we compared several choices and finally booked the ‘Northern Lights Minibus Chase for Cruise Passengers’ tour offered by Chasing Lights. Recalling all the wonderful memories from that night, our decision was undoubtedly a splendid one. If you are a nature lover who is uncertain about planning your trip to hunt the marvelous Aurora Borealis, I hope my authentic experience will enhance your chance to see the fascinating sky!

Prior To Departure

Before going on the Northern Lights hunt, it is essential to prepare sufficiently warm clothes. Our tour lasted for 6 hours which was a long journey so it was important to maintain warmth. As a person who had never been to a place under 0°C, the temperature outside almost froze me during the night! Even though the tour does provide winter suits and snow boots, I strongly recommend you bring your clothes to add comfort to the journey. Apart from waterproof down jackets and ski jackets, beanies, gloves, and waterproof boots are also irreplaceable items in Tromsø.

It is worth mentioning that our checked luggage was delayed at the airport. Fortunately, we had worn our jackets and snow boots before boarding and put our beanies and gloves in our carry-on bags. I can almost say that these actions saved our lives until our luggage reached the hotel. Fingers crossed that your luggage will arrive on time at the airport, but it is always crucial to have a backup plan like we did.

Chasing Northern Lights

On the day we reserved, our kind and professional guide picked us up from the city center around 6 pm. After driving for over two hours, we finally arrived at a scenic location where the forecast estimated there would be a clear sky. At first, we felt a bit anxious since the guide informed us there were no guarantees of seeing the Northern Lights as the Arctic weather is fickle. Soon, we learned that patience is the key factor to increase the chance of witnessing the Aurora. For almost an hour, we gazed at the sky and waited patiently under the stars while listening to the story of the Northern Lights. When the Northern Lights began to emerge in a dance of green color, all of us cheered for this thrilling moment and took our cameras out to capture the beauty of nature.

But this was merely the beginning of our adventure. After the dissipation of the Northern Lights, we headed back to the minibus since the guide had found another spot with potentially better visibility. Following another hour of driving, we reached a spot that was close to Finland, and the night’s most unforgettable moment happened there. The Northern Lights started to shimmer in shades of blue and purplish-red while dancing and moving across the sky in a breathtaking spectacle! I couldn’t believe how lucky we were since it was our first time chasing Northern Lights – Hurrah! We succeeded!

Afterwards

After admiring the mythical Northern Lights, the driver took us to a camping site to celebrate our successful hunt. The guide lit a bonfire and served us steaming traditional drinks and chocolate cookies. We chatted with strange travellers across the globe and exchanged photos while getting away from the crowds of the city. It was such a valuable and enjoyable time.

The 6 hours flew swiftly, leaving us longing for more. This night is a treasured memory that needs to be cherished forever. Whichever tour or site you choose, I wish you good fortune in capturing the beautiful Northern Lights!

Peggy is a content writer at Her Campus at the King’s College London (KCL) chapter. She focuses on creating content for the life section. Peggy is from Hong Kong and this is her fifth academic year studying abroad. She is graduated from Newcastle University with a BA (Hons) degree in Media, Communication and Cultural Studies, and now pursuing her MA degree in Digital Culture and Society at KCL. In her free time, Peggy loves traveling, listening to music, watching movies, having bubble teas and browsing cute animal videos :)