This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

This week’s article is a beginner’s guide to the basics you need to know before picking up your camera!

Camera RAW

Between the multiple image formats – such as JPEJ, PNJ – needed for schoolwork or for printing band posters for your bedroom wall (no judgements here), photographers dabble in a format called RAW (DNG is a universal RAW file type). RAW is a digital negative that retains all the details, containing more information than a traditional format. The camera does not adjust or add any of its own details to the picture. Because of this, RAW opens up multiple possibilities during processing and error correction is more accurate. Changes that couldn’t be made during setting the scene, can be done during post-processing. The downside here is that RAW files take more time to record, and even if they are faster, one cannot capture multiple RAWs in a row.

Lighting

Positioning the light or subject is very important for the scene you are creating. While Front-lighting will expose most of the details of your subject, Side would be a much more fun way to capture your scene. Especially as it brings out very soft effects and flirts with details, depending on what you want to capture. Another interesting way to position is Background lighting which creates the classic silhouette effect.

Lighting effect on a scene can be of two types: Hard and Soft. If a hard light (Sunny day) source is used, there’s is a sharp difference between light and dark areas without many transitions- this light source is notorious for creating darker shadows. On the other hand, soft light (Daylight filtered by clouds) shows subtle transitions and smoother shadows. This is important when you want to capture details that would be present in the darker portions. 

Exposure Control

• Aperture

Aperture is the window of your camera that manages the amount of light to be let into your pictures; wider aperture is good for brightening a photo (low f-number), and narrow aperture gives low light conditions (higher f-number).

Apart from controlling exposure, aperture also helps the photographer focus on portions of images; subject focused or blurred-background images, or a completely focused natural scenery. Aperture differentiates between objects in focus and those out of focus, and the difference can be better determined with a wider aperture.

• Shutter Speed

Shutter, like its name, is a barrier that opens to let light in when taking a photo. Pressing to capture is hence called ‘shutter release’. The shutter speed is basically a measure of the amount of time the barrier stays open to let light into the image (from milliseconds to minutes). Like aperture, it is one of the three elements that manage exposure.

• ISO Speed

After aperture and shutter speed, it is time to think about the ISO speed. It defines the camera’s sensitivity to light; the higher the sensitivity, the more light captured. ISO speed is useful for shots in insufficient light. It ranges from ISO 100 (darker) to ISO 3200 (brighter). While aperture and shutter speed controls alter a natural measure, ISO sensitivity is more artificial. With the sensitivity, the noise also increases. Here equipment quality is very important, as expensive professional cameras allow higher ISO speeds before the noise becomes disruptive to the image.

Depth of Field

Depth of field determines the range (distance) where elements in an image remain sharp. For one camera setting, an object several feet away from the subject may remain acceptably sharp. But, with another setting, an object an inch away from the main subject (in any direction) may appear blurred. Depending on this there can be a shallow (small range) and a wide (longer range) depth of field.

.Composition

This describes the placement of relative elements in an image. A good composition is key for great photography. There are a few easy rules to keep in mind, that will help you achieve a good composition.

• The Rule of Thirds

Imagine your image to be divided into three sections, both horizontally and vertically, giving rise to nine equal sections. The rule suggests placing the subject where two of those lines intersect, creating a stronger composition.

• The Golden Ratio

The ratio is a design concept based on Fibonacci numbers that devised by Leonardo Fibonacci to create a ‘perfect’ design (the ratio is also seen in nature – such as the spiral of a nautilus seashell). The ratio can be used by placing the most important element of the picture in the smallest portion of the spiral so that the eye is naturally guided through the image.

• Rule of Odds

An odd number (subject or background object) tends to be more visually appealing than even numbers. It may be because odds have a middle, while even numbers have empty space.

Blogs

Here are a few links to blogs that go into more detail about the basics of photography, with some helpful tips for beginners.

https://www.creativelive.com/photography-guides

https://www.bobbooks.co.uk/blog-post/20-essential-photography-tips-for-beginners-1

https://artofvisuals.com/the-basics-of-photography-introduction-to-photography-tutorials/

https://expertphotography.com/a-beginners-guide-to-photography/

https://digital-photography-school.com/3-things-wish-knew-when-started-photography/

A Neuroscience student with a reading-addiction, trying her luck with writing.
President of Her Campus KCL!