Style > Fashion

Aesthetics, Styles And Everything In Between

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

As a generation, we are finding new, creative ways to express ourselves. One of my favourite ways to do this is through fashion. As we grow, our fashion preferences change, as do trends (micro or not). And with so much exposure to different types of fashion, (via TikTok, Instagram, friends, and strangers), it’s easy to get overwhelmed and tangled up in different trends, so people forget to have fun with their style – forgetting to wear what they want and love, but instead wearing what they think they should.

There are hundreds of aesthetics, not just fashion related, which can give you ideas on how to dress. Walking down the street, at university, on social media, I see so many different awesome outfits which often fall into an aesthetic. For example, E-girl has influences from gothic and emo backgrounds. Cottage core adopts a simpler, vintage-esque vibe. Dark academia is linked with darker colours like browns and greens in a more formal way – think fashionable librarian. There are millions of others, each with their own influences and vibes. I think it’s easy to believe you must belong to one of these distinct groups and dress accordingly every day. However, I like preppy outfits, I like wearing boys clothes (and calling it fashionable), I like little dresses. So, why should I set myself in one group and dress exclusively like that?

The truth is, we are complex beings; we are layered and our personal style can be too. You can have multiple aesthetics make up your style. Pulling influences from multiple aesthetics and trends will make you individual, and doing this can be an extremely effective way of expressing yourself. Some people thrive in one aesthetic group and can’t bear to look at anything else, and express themselves beautifully in doing so. However, if you’re like me and you like variety and wearing everything – wear everything. One of my favourite things in fashion is combining multiple aesthetics: I like wearing smart work trousers and a massive hoodie. Or I like a preppy shirt with laid back trousers. I like pushing boundaries to express myself and develop my own personal style.

Strive to make your Pinterest board full of aesthetics, vibes and colours to continue to develop your style, and learn more about your preferences. Try to follow a range of people on social media to gain outfit inspiration from different backgrounds. Have a go at bringing together different clothing items from a range of influences, (social media, people on the street or in magazines), to create one ground-breaking outfit. This is a great way to challenge your creativity, and push conventional boundaries in the fashion world.

Carys Grieve is a writer at HerCampus in the heart of London at Kings College London (KCL). She expresses all silly opinions on all things style: fashion, trends, London gems and beauty secrets. Carys is completing her final year at KCL studying neuroscience (its as gross as it sounds). After graduating, Carys intends to continue her studies by completing a master’s in clinical neuroscience to get her one step closer to going into dementia research. (After travelling the world) Carys spends all her time reading and eating. She will NOT shut up about a good book and she will spend all her money on cinnamon buns (she’s trying to find the best one in London) She likes flexing that she surfed at Bondi beach and that she touched Jason Derulo.