Career

A ‘Stepping Stone’ Into The Film Industry: Q&A With Noah Caplan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Last month, I interviewed Noah Caplan, a 19-year-old film director, writer and actor. Caplan shared his experience of making his short film Stepping Stone, starring EastEnders’ Danny Dyer, and gave lots of valuable advice to aspiring filmmakers.  

Stepping Stone follows four characters from varying walks of life struggling with different aspects of mental health, ranging from anxiety to physical abuse. Throughout the film, they learn that the first step to healing is talking to someone. Caplan’s film champions an optimistic attitude towards mental health, centring the importance of normalising conversations around this issue. The filmmaker described each of his projects as a “bookmark of his life”, allowing him to channel real-life experiences into his work. Following a tragic accident in his family, Caplan recognised the importance of vocalising his feelings and wanted to work on removing the negative stigma surrounding mental health through this film. His film has also raised money for various mental health charities, including Mind and Samaritans, as well as suicide helplines, by selling the film’s props and receiving text donations.

Caplan told me about his upcoming project which will focus on the tension between positive and toxic masculinity. As mentioned, Caplan enjoys creating work that is relevant to his life, adding a sense of authenticity, honesty and ease to his films. Inspired by Greta Gerwig’s Barbie, which he stated, “perfectly captures the confusion and the complexities about being a woman”, Caplan wanted to explore the nature of masculinity and what it means to be a modern man. He talked about the confusing representation of men in some forms of media, identifying toxic role models such as Andrew Tate influencing young boys as a troubling example in which the lines between what is harmful and what is not are easily blurred. He wants his new film to provide positive role models for young men in an attempt to reduce instances of toxic masculinity, a problem that he recognises is often “self-inflicted”. This film will take the form of a fantasy adventure, a genre Caplan has wanted to venture into since his obsession with the Infinity Saga. Its capacity for both storytelling and escapism is a duality he prizes in films.    

As a young filmmaker, Caplan has had to take many risks to get to where he is today and insists that anyone can find success and fulfil their goals if they believe they can. He advises aspiring filmmakers to “just go for it”; something Caplan did when he enlisted Danny Dyer onto his project by tirelessly contacting everyone on Dyer’s Instagram ‘following’ list until he reached the actor himself. He reiterates that writing what you know and persevering in the face of criticism, and in fact using such criticism to improve your work, is the best advice that he has been given, and urges others to do the same. Caplan reminds us that our aspirations are always attainable if we believe they are and, whether through writing, directing or acting, through the medium of film, you can inspire others to fulfil their goals too.

Grace writes for the Careers section of the King's College London (KCL) chapter of Her Campus. She is a 2nd year student studying English Literature and French. In summer 2023, Grace travelled to Yangshuo in China to teach English at a Language College and is currently studying for her TEFL qualification. As well as teaching, she had many exciting adventures such as white water rafting, hiking to the top of Guilin Provence’s TV tower to watch the sunrise and a personal highlight was winning the school’s talent show with a rendition of the Pitch Perfect finale. Before joining Her Campus, Grace was Deputy Editor of her high school magazine in Lancaster. Her responsibilities included commissioning, writing and editing articles. Grace enjoys creative writing, and is currently working on a screen play comedy about teenagers coming of age. She also loves the creative arts, and has a passion for musical theatre, singing and acting. When not writing for Her Campus, Grace enjoys playing netball for the GKT team. Otherwise, you can find her either curled up with a good book listening to Taylor Swift or hanging out with friends at the local salsa bar.