6 No-Thought-Required Films to Get You Through Stressful Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

The world is scary right now and frankly, sometimes I’d rather hide in my room watching films than dealing with that fact. It is absolutely vital for everyone to take some time for themselves especially if you are one of those people who likes to do a million things at once. Now midsemester essays are over, I’d suggest just taking a little time to watch any one of these films, or one of my no-stress tv picks. All of the below are relaxing and entertaining but, crucially, require startlingly little thought to enjoy.

1) Mr Right

Now Sam Rockwell is in Oscar nominated films, his earlier work such as this may be overlooked. This is an absolutely brilliant, fun romantic comedy with ridiculous cartoon violence. It also stars Anna Kendrick and if you don’t watch films primarily because she is involved, I don’t want to talk to you. She is perfect.

Warnings: Gun violence, knife violence

2) Wild Child

If you’ve never seen this movie you absolutely need to. Girl-power, the insane fashion of the late 00s, and a couple of fart jokes thrown in for good measure. Watch as LA girl Poppy (Emma Roberts) attempts to adjust to an all-girls boarding school, chip-butties, and charity-shop makeovers. Genuinely the perfect girls night in film.

Warnings: Fire

3) Mamma Mia

The sequel is coming out soon and you will adore the original film. This is not high-brow entertainment and I do suggest watching it with that one friend who only likes bands no-ones heard of just to watch them slowly cave and give in to the hypnotic pop of Abba. Best enjoyed with a bottle of wine (both for drinking and using as a microphone for your spot-on Pierce Brosnan impression)

Warnings: ABBA

4) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Full disclosure, I am an English student and so I am contractually obliged to adore Pride and Prejudice in literally all of its forms however, this is just particularly brilliant with all of its girl-power, fancy long dresses, and of course Charles Dance. What else can you possibly want out of a film?! Also, Lena Heady in an eyepatch. Thank me later.

Warnings: Violence

5) Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights

This is straying into ultimate guilty pleasure territory. We all can safely say aloud that we love Dirty Dancing, however, the sequel is somewhat more controversial. It is absolutely a terrible film but it is the complete brain-off film. Just sit back and let the dancing, the music, and Diego Luna distract you from everything.

6) Stardust

This is the cutest film in the world with somehow an incredible cast. Seriously, this has Sienna Miller, Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer, Peter O’Toole, and Ian McKellen all in one film. It is adorably romantic with Claire Danes and Charlie Cox having incredible chemistry. And, for any superhero fans reading this, there is a sword fight between Daredevil and Superman… and who wins may surprise you…

Warnings: Mild violence

So go on, take a couple of hours and treat yourself, do absolutely nothing and enjoy these guilty pleasures. I won’t tell anyone.

Hi, I am a second year English student at King's College London focusing mainly on Medieval Literature. I'm also a massive theatre fan, occassional singer, and constant annoyance to my long-suffering flatmate.
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.