Life > Experiences

5 Ways to Make Friends While Going to School Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

To say that things have changed ever since the COVID-19 pandemic would be an understatement. Almost everything is now being done online, including school, and it’s like living in a digital dystopia that no one other than sci-fi nerds ever really asked for. So, it can definitely feel lonely and isolating not being able to interact with as many people as we are used to. Even the best of introverts feel the effects of being so…well, alone. Therefore, in this article we’re going to be discussing five ways to make friends while going to school online.

1.  Make an Effort to Get to Know Your Flatmates 

I know, I know. It’s difficult to put yourself out there. But I can almost guarantee that your flatmates feel the exact same way that you do. They’re probably just as lonely as you are because we human beings are social creatures that need interaction to live. This is why I personally believe that Eve was created as a companion for Adam; it’s not good for us to be alone. So, make a little extra effort to get to know your flatmates and strike up a conversation in the kitchen some time. Suggest going out for a coffee or lunch and take it from there!

2.  Hit up Some of Your Old Friends 

Woman with curly hair waving and saying hi to someone through her laptop.
Photo by Yan from Pexels

Just because you’re at university doesn’t mean you should completely ignore your old friends. Make sure you’re not burning any bridges because you might need them later on. Try to maintain your old friendships while you’re creating new ones. Hit up your old friends on FaceTime and see how they’re doing during this time. We need to be taking care of each other and the people we love, so check up on some old friends and ask them what’s new.

3.  Make an Effort to Talk to Your Classmates 

Photo by Stanley Morales from Pexels

If you’re one of the lucky few who has a few in-person tutorials or seminars, use them as an opportunity to speak to your classmates after class. You’d be surprised, but most people are just rushing to get back home and do absolutely nothing – just like you. So, don’t be afraid to linger behind a little bit and strike up a conversation or two! While I was in first year, this is how most people made friends. Conversations quickly turned into coffee dates and coffee dates soon turned into great friendships!

4.  Study Groups

Photo of people at work putting their hands on top of each other
Photo by fauxels from Pexels

A study group is a great way to get to know your classmates. In fact, a number of people would jump at the opportunity to join a study group because not only does it give you a chance to catch up on your work, but it also gives you a chance to get out of that dingy dungeon you call a dorm room. So get out of bed, draw the curtains and meet up with real life people. Be it at a cafe, a park, or even a library, there are many places you and your study group can go to have fun and simply change your environment. If you find yourself being unproductive and lazy, it’s probably because you need a change of setting.

With lockdown restrictions, these can also take an online format and can be a good way to make sure you are having some form of social interaction.

5.  Join a Society 

Brooke Cagle via Unsplash

Most societies are still running, albeit online. Try joining a society so that you have something to look forward to during the week; it’s also a great way to meet new people and keep busy!

Audrey is a full time undergraduate law student from Kenya, studying at King's College London. She would describe herself as a devout follower of Jesus Christ and a lover of travel, fashion, adventure and new friends! She hopes to use her voice to write about the topics that she is passionate about, while also helping to change and shed light on various negative perceptions and stereotypes perpetuated in the media. Step into her head, one article at a time!