yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

5 Ways To Get In The Spirit If You’re Not Going Out This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Not everybody’s Halloween is going to be costumes, parties and a fun night out…especially if deadlines are getting nearer and assignments need to be done. Whether you’re up to your eyeballs in essays, or even if you’re just not into the whole party scene but really enjoy being ‘spoopy’, here’s 5 subtle ways of getting into the spirit this Halloween, without even leaving the house!

1) “Spoop” up your snacks!

Naturally, the best way to get into the Halloween spirit is to splurge on the sweets. A big bowl of Drumsticks, Refreshers, Malteasers and any other favourites would be the perfect bed-side binge whilst getting through work or having a wind-down after a long day. If you want to get creative, then try and turn an ordinary snack into a cute, aesthetically pleasing Halloween treat! Cookies and cupcakes can easily be transformed with orange and green icing, or even orange and green smarties! Or, if you’re after a healthier option, turn a peeled orange into a mini pumpkin: it makes the snacking binge feel a little less guilty!

2) Turn your drinks into something alien

As cliché as it may seem, a cosy night on Halloween after a stressful study session might call for a pumpkin spice latte! Not only will it keep you energised and feeling good to keep the work pace going, but it tastes sweet and feels so calming! Not everybody’s going crazy tonight…

If you prefer something cool, drinks like cranberry juice and Mountain Dew can work as great pretend blood and something other-worldly. Pouring them (or anything alcoholic, if you’d prefer) into plastic test tubes (which are quite easy to get a hold of – try Amazon or eBay!) can give you a great mad scientist look without even having to put a costume on! 

3) Scary movie night

There’s a lot of choice here, and it really depends on whether you’re after the fright of your life, an ironic appreciation of a film that fails to scare you, or a nostalgic re-watching of one of your childhood favourites. Whatever it may be, get Netflix started up and get comfy with the snacks and drinks you’ve now prepared, and enjoy the next few hours to yourself!

4) The freaky YouTube rabbit-hole…

If you’re after a short procrastination from your assignments, or if you simply do not have the attention span for a full-length film, the rabbit-hole of scary, scream-inducing YouTube videos is the place to be! Short videos like the Relaxing Car Drive video that ends with a scream can give you a quick fright but it’s the freaky YouTube story-times and conspiracy theories you find yourself sucked into that leave you terrified for the whole night, and questioning everything you have ever known.

5) Get lit!

Pumpkin carving is always such a great nod to Halloween, and creates a lovely warm glow when lit in your home. If you can’t get hold of a pumpkin in time, faux pumpkin ornaments can be found in almost every supermarket and can easily be given the same warm glow with some fairy lights that you can get cheap from stores like Tiger or Primark. It creates the atmosphere without hardly any effort, and the fairy lights can even be recycled for Christmas!

Hopefully you can see that it’s almost effortless to create a night even spookier than those deadlines, even if you’re staying in this October 31st!

King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.