This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

January just seems to be going on forever… exams and deadlines are over but January blues want to stay and loom around us. Post-holidays and post-exam partying, why not relax and enjoy a wallet-friendly show in the heart of the West End? Here are 5 productions currently on that promise to be a good night (or day) for yourself and your pals for a fabulous day trip in London.

1) Girl from the North Country from £14.75

Booking until 24th March 2018

Moved from its sell-out season at the Old Vic, Girl from the North Country finds its new home at the Noël Coward Theatre for a limited run till the end of March. Written and directed by Conor McPherson with the musical talents of Bob Dylan serenading through the entirety of the production. Set in 1934 Minnesota, be prepared to be taken on a whirlwind rollercoaster of heartbreak and hope as you follow a plethora of characters that you root and cry for. With its exclusive run and sheer uniqueness and brilliance, it’d be ridiculous to miss out on the opportunity to see the show while you can.

2) Five Guys Named Moe from £11.80

Playing until 24th March 2018

A revival of the Olivier award-winning musical, Five Guys Named Moe makes its way back to its West End home in this immersive experience at the Marble Arch Theatre in Hyde Park. Watch as Big Moe, Little Moe, Eat Moe, Know Moe and Four-Eyed Moe assist the heartbroken and down-in-his-luck Nomax with the help of smooth jazz classics. Get ready to be transported back to this 1940s New Orleans Jazz Club with a cocktail in one hand and the rhythm all around.

3) The Exorcist – from £15

Playing until 10th March 2018

Not a fan of a musical? There’s a thrilling play on the scene at The Phoenix Theatre. We all know the ‘scariest movie of all time’ released in 1973 but now The Exorcist makes its debut to the West End in this shiver inducing production. This unique theatrical experience is set to change the adaptation of horror in theatre. With the success of the stage adaptation of Susan Hills’ The Woman in Black in recent years, it’s going to be interesting if The Exorcist will live up to the reputation of its horror predecessors on stage.

4) Dreamgirls – from £16.50

Booking until 2nd June 2018

This iconic Tony award-winning musical plays at The Savoy Theatre, just down the Strand. Set in 1960s America, the musical follows the female soul trio known as The Dreams as they journey from hometown Chicago to success and celebrity. Diva classics and iconic tunes include ‘And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going’ and ‘One Night Only’ – the music heavily fuels the storyline but the acting and choreography is a sight to behold. With prices this good and with talent so raw, why not head on down and treat yourself?

5) Long Day’s Journey into Night – from £12.50

27th January – 8th April 2018

(clips from a previous production)

Starring the incredible talents of Jeremy Irons and Lesley Manville, this reprise at Wyndham’s Theatre follows its sold-out run at Bristol Old Vic. The production is set to wow audiences in this limited 10-week run. The play follows a family of four as they struggle through the tribulations of love, life and past choices. Throughout the unravelling play, audiences are in for a treat as they witness powerful performances showcasing the harsh reality of the human condition.

There’s nothing better than a theatre trip that doesn’t make you feel guilty about the dent it’s left in your student loan, so definitely get down to one of these shows if you can!

Avid napper and English student at King's College London that procrastinates from writing by - well, writing. South London native.
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.