5 Affordable Things To Do In London For A Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Going out with your friends doesn’t have to be super expensive. Take a look at these ideas that allow you to explore London this winter without spending more than £15 per person!

1) Watch a play

Shakespeare’s Globe does tickets for only £5 pounds if you don’t mind standing. You get that real audience/actor interaction from where you’re standing, right next to the stage, so it’s completely different from your average theatre experience.

2) Go on a walking tour

For as little as £10, these are super enjoyable and educational! Explore areas of London that you never normally would and learn historical facts and myths. There are so many themes to choose from, from Jack the Ripper (which I personally recommend), located in London’s East end, to Harry Potter tours, so there’s definitely something that will interest you and your friends.

3) Visit a free art gallery or exhibition

Take a trip down to The Wallace Collection (nearest station Bond Street) where you can find loads of pieces of fine art from different historical periods. Each room has a different theme and it exudes decadence and beauty with its grand chandeliers and magnificent artefacts. Be sure to take you camera with you to get some Instagram-worthy pics!

4) Magic Lantern Festival

Journey through one of the most beautiful displays in London, as Chiswick is lit up! There are different themes and exhibitions depending which part of the park you are in, meaning there are lots of photo-worthy opportunities. Food and hot-drink stalls will keep you warm whilst you wonder around the park and a market area with tasty churros and fun rides will keep you entertained and put you in the Christmas spirit. Tickets are only £14 for students.

5) Visit a park or zoo

These parks are particularly exciting because of their scenic views and visual displays.

Crystal Palace Park- Famous for its dinosaur statues, this park is great for family or friends. There is a free animal area where you can watch insects and amphibians in their natural habitats such as spiders and turtles, or you can always check out the rabbits and sheep if creepy crawlies aren’t your thing. There’s also a life-sized maze for you and your friends to get lost in!

Holland Park- There is an oriental themed garden called Kyoto Garden with picturesque waterfalls and plants.  The park is made super colourful with peacocks roaming the area, so watch out for some great photo moments. You can also play life sized chess with your friends too!

English Literature and Language student who loves things beauty related!
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.