2020’s Most Defining Moments Countdown (there’s been A LOT!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Welcome back to this episode of ‘dId tHaT rEaLlY jUsT hApPen or was this entire year just ONE BIG mass hallucination???’ 

This time, we’ll be counting down the top most memorable moments of 2020.  What a year. *sigh*

Now that it’s all coming to an end (good riddance!) I feel like I need to take some time just to process all the insane things that have gone down this year. 

So, let’s take a short trip down memory lane, shall we?

Coronavirus Global Pandemic

How could we have a list on 2020 and not include this one? From the increasingly harrowing death tolls and national lockdowns, this has to be the #1 most defining feature of 2020. And the fact that even the President of the USA, Donald Trump, and the British Prime Minster, Boris Johnson, with all their power and wealth, can’t even escape it just goes to show how the virus doesn’t discriminate between its victims.

Biden wins the US Presidential Election

In what was probably the most important election of a lifetime, Biden won the position of the 46th President of the United States of America. And this momentous occasion marks the end of a Trump era.

Death of George Floyd & BLM Movement

While the BLM movement has been around for years, there is no doubt that there was a surge of protest after the horrendous murder of George Floyd in May. Thousands all across the world have banded together in solidarity and opposition to police brutality all around the world. His death has brought further issues of racism into the forefront and his legacy has certainly defined 2020. Yet the unfortunate situation is that murder of George Floyd was not in isolation. It is so important that we also remember ALL of the names (here are just a few) of those who have been and still are being murdered by the police today. We need to continue to channel our energy into supporting the BLM movement further, because the fight for equality is far from over.

Nearly started WW3

The fact that this one is relatively low on the list is a testament to just how chaotic this year has really been. After the US drone attack assasinated Qasem Soleimani, a major Iranian general, the prospect of WW3 was beginning to rise this year. The Iranians reacted with a missile attack and this was followed by the mysterious Ukranian plane crash which was reportedly shot down in Iran. You can read more about the sitatuation between America and Iran early this year through my article here. I haven’t even mentioned the tensions between USA and China yet that also escalated this year. All this, combined with the obsession with nuclear weapons of the world’s biggest superpowers, has brought humanity into a potentially extreme and dangerous position which, had the tensions not simmered, could have resulted in catastrophic consequences.

BREXIT – UK officially left the EU

As of the 31st of January 2020, the UK officially left the European Union. The impact of this decision has already begun to have a dramatic socio-economic impact. Yet the full weight of the consequences of the referendum are still to come. As a British citizen who was on the side of ‘Remain’, this issue is very close to my heart. And it is certainly memorable enough to have defined the legacy of 2020, as well as the future of UK/Europe.

Explosions, Fires & other Natural Disasters

Australia’s bush fires and floods have been some of the worst in their history. The explosion in Beirut, Lebanon in August. The fire in Dubai in January. Phillipines volcano eruptions. The earthquake in Turkey. Hurricanes in America. Avalanche in Pakistan. To name a few of the disasters and extreme weather conditions that have characterised this year.

A Year of Protests

Hong Kong. Climate Change. Women’s march. Even Anti-lockdown and no mask parades (for pete’s sake!) There is a reason that 2020 has been often defined as the “year of protests.”

Deaths of Public figures

Adding to the names of those who have died in 2020, we sadly experienced the loss of Kobe Byrant and Chadwick Boseman. I know for certain that these deaths, as well as many others, came to a shock to us all and the grief is very much felt.

Trump’s Impeachment Trial

I know this is technically the third time some aspect of Trump has made it’s way onto this list. But I guess that just goes to show how how big of an impact his role has on the rest of the world (and our sanity.) Trump was charged with impeachment for supposed abuse of power. Although the outcome of the trial was acquitted, the trial itself was significant enough to make its way on to this list of 2020’s most historical moments.

Marcus Rashford’s Free School Meal Campaign

If you’re are looking for one of the very few positive things on this highly cynical list, here it is! It just goes to show much we can all band together to do good!

After the conservative government in Britain ruled against extending free school meals outside of term time due to the pandemic, Manchester United football player Marcus Rashford stepped in. Using his power, wealth and influence for good, he set up a petition to fund free school meals for children from underprivledged backgrounds.

Katie Hopkins got BANNED from Twitter!

Katie Hopkin’s Twitter account got permenantly suspended after she posted a series of hate speech. She cruelly mocked the BLM’s ‘blackoutTuesday’ campaign and also directed hatred towards Marcus Rashford. Hopkins has always been very outspoken about her racist, islamophobic, sexist, fatphobic, classist and pretty much every other ‘ist’ and ‘phobic’ attitudes out there. She even goes as far as to judge children, particularly hating children with the name of a geographical location (despite her own child being named “INDIA” – how she could possibly ignore the irony of this escapes me) She was finally banned from Twitter for breaking regulations and spreading hate speech.

Captain Tom’s fundraiser for the NHS

This is probably one of the most wholesome moments of 2020! Sir Thomas Moore is proof that there have been some good things to come out of the pandemic.

A 99 year old war veteran who decided to fundraise for the NHS by completing 100 laps around his garden.

His campaign has raised well over £20 million for the NHS!

Murder Hornets

Just another causal addition of 2020…

Apparently ‘murder hornets’ have swept all over America and Canada killing BEES AND PEOPLE.

Summer Tokyo Olympics Postponed

The Summer Olympics were scheduled to take place this year in Tokyo. Unfortunately due to the pandemic, this has been postponed to 2021.

Royal Family – Meghan Markle & Prince Harry step down

As a true Brit, born and bred, I can proudly say that I don’t give two hoots about the royal family and their business. To me, the monarchy serves no purpose except to provide a means for tourism. Either way though, I guess Meghan Markle and Prince Harry stepping down from their royal duties is still signficiant enough to be included in this list.

And there you have it folks! A countdown of all the most defining moments of 2020. 

I know for sure that I am going to be staying up till midnight this year. Not necessarily to welcome in the new year but to SEE THIS ONE OUT.

Here’s to hoping there’s better times in store for us in 2021…

(in sha Allah)

British Muslimah. Intersectional feminist. Cynical Hufflepuff. Professional cat-lover. Shaheena is an English Literature student with a passion for social activism. In her spare time, she enjoys photography, reading and watching cartoons/animes. Her top fandoms include: Avatar (atla), Ghibli, Disney, Harry Potter, Marvel, Doctor Who & Sherlock.
hahsghqs