paper lanters in South Korea
paper lanters in South Korea
Photo by Flore Boitel
Life > Experiences

K-Pop To Kimchi: Selma Buda On Her Semester Abroad In South Korea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Selma Buda, a student at the Catholic University of Paris, was one of the few students selected to spend an entire semester in Seoul while attending a Korean university. She recounts her experience abroad and the challenges she faced as a French student in South Korea.

Why did you choose South Korea for your semester abroad? Were you always drawn to Asia, and specifically Seoul, or was it more of a blunt decision?

I have been wanting to go to Asia, especially South Korea, since middle school because, at that time, I listened to a lot of K-pop. So, when I had to choose the destinations for my semester abroad and Seoul was an option, it was obvious! Even though I don’t listen to K-pop anymore, this country always attracted me and I wanted to make my 11-year-old self’s dream come true. I also wanted to go far from home, and discover completely different cultures, traditions, and landscapes!

Did you find it harder than expected to study abroad and leave everything behind at such a young age?

No, because I knew it was only for a short amount of time. Compared to my home university, I had far fewer hours of classes, I was less stressed, I met other exchange students straight away so I wasn’t alone and I didn’t see my semester go by at all!

What is one difference between education in France and South Korea? Which educational system did you prefer? 

One of the striking differences is the importance of studies and the competition between students. Yes, I’m aware that in France it’s also competitive, but in South Korea, students are constantly in competition with each other because classes are graded on a quota basis, which is different from France. In the French system, if a teacher thinks that 18 out of 20 students deserve an A, they’ll all get an A, whereas in Korea only 10 to 20% of the class can get an A (even if 80% deserve it). This leads to constant pressure, which is reflected in the number of suicides, with the Mapo Bridge sadly known for the high number of young people committing suicide.

In addition, we see the importance of school during the high school graduation exams, which take place in November. During these exams the city stops; planes are not allowed to fly over Seoul so as not to disturb the concentration of the students and taxis are requisitioned to take them to their exams on time.

It’s difficult to form a concrete opinion because I only had 4 classes for 4 months, but I still prefer the French way of teaching, at least at university, because I find that you have more freedom and are encouraged to think by yourself more. On the contrary, in Korea, I felt like I was back in high school, with homework due every week, whereas in France I have 2 projects due every semester in every course – it’s more creative and less guided.

Was the language barrier a real problem, or were you able to communicate with locals easily? 

It was definitely challenging. I couldn’t communicate directly with locals (especially older people) because most of them didn’t speak English and I didn’t speak Korean at all. This country has only opened up to the Western world in recent years, so most of its inhabitants have learnt Japanese or Chinese as a second language.

Even though most South Koreans use Papago (the equivalent of Google Translate), it was sometimes difficult to communicate because the translation wasn’t clear.

What did you miss most from home during your time in Seoul? 

I missed fruits and vegetables because they are very expensive in Seoul! It wasn’t in my budget and I hardly ate any in 4 months (for example, 500g of tomatoes cost 7€ in South Korea).

Do you regret anything from your semester abroad? Do you wish you had done something differently? 

I regret not having visited enough of the other cities in South Korea when I had the time (but that’s my excuse for coming back and doing it next time!).

Were you able to travel during your time in South Korea and if so, where? 

Yes! It’s easy to travel in South Korea because it’s cheap and accessible with many options like the train or express bus. It’s quite a small country, which means you can visit a new city every weekend if you want to. For example, by train it takes 3 hours maximum to get to southern cities! 

During my exchange, I visited Busan (South Korea’s second-largest city and main port), Jeonju (the town where bibimbap, a traditional Korean dish, originated), Suwon (home to historical monuments such as Hwaseong Fortress) and Gyeongju (a city home to historical and archaeological remains, some of which are listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites, such as the Bulguksa Temple).

Also, since South Korea is close to other Asian countries, I went to Tokyo for 5 days.

Do you think a semester was too short or the right amount of time? 

I think a semester of 6 months is perfect for an exchange in South Korea to travel and do lots of activities (but because mine only lasted 4 months, it was a bit too short).

Did you experience any culture shocks, if so, why? 

Yes, I experienced a lot of culture shocks. South Korea is a country that I find paradoxical in many ways: modern, with business districts and tall buildings, and traditional, with royal palaces in the middle of the city or cables and power lines lining the streets (and not hidden underground like in Europe). 

This country is individualistic, with many restaurants having tables for one person facing the wall and Koreans don’t pay attention to people around them. For example, it’s very rare for them to hold the door for you (and at the beginning, not being used to it, I got the door slammed in my face several times). However, they have respect for the elderly and the family holds a central place in their life, which is reflected in their actions (a lot of couples from my university had promise rings because children don’t leave their parents’ home until they are married). 

The cliché that the country is filled with couples is true, I’ve never seen so many in my life. They hold hands and feed each other in restaurants, however, they will never kiss publicly in the street.

What is your favourite memory from your exchange? 

My favourite memory is from my first trip to Seoul with my friends when we dressed up in traditional Korean clothes (called hanbok) to visit one of the city’s royal palaces. There, it’s something that Koreans and tourists often do. It’s a friendly atmosphere, and everyone is smiling, dressed in beautiful and colourful dresses and costumes. The palace was so big that we felt like we were alone and stepped back in time. I felt beautiful and it was a great memory from the moment I got dressed and got my hair done, to the discovery of the palace and gardens.

woman wearing traditional costume in South Korea
Photo by Flore Boitel

Talk to me about your social life, how was it different from your home university? Was it hard to get integrated as a foreign student? 

I had a more fulfilled social life in Seoul because I had fewer hours of classes and therefore more time to go out and meet new people. Integrating as a foreign student with other foreign students was very easy because everyone shared the same mindset: meeting new people, having a good time, travelling and going out. 

On the contrary, integrating with Korean students was more difficult, not only because of the language barrier, but also because there were only 60 foreign students out of 10,000 Koreans at my university, so in my classes, the Koreans kept to themselves and didn’t mix too much with us.

nightclub in South Korea
Photo by Flore Boitel

How did you prepare for your time abroad, both practically and mentally? 

In terms of budget, I saved all year and worked all summer from May to August. I was staying on campus so I didn’t have to find accommodation in Seoul, which can be difficult and expensive. Mentally, to be honest, I only realised I was leaving when I said goodbye to my parents at the airport. In a way, I did not think about it so as not to stress out too much!

Do you think your exchange influenced you in any way? Did it change you? 

Yes, I really think that studying abroad allows everyone to change and grow into a more mature version of themselves. I gained maturity and independence because it was the first time I was living on my own, relying solely on myself for food, laundry…

I had to fend for myself in a country I didn’t know, in a language I didn’t speak, and that made me grow and gain self-confidence.

Did you make lifelong friendships, or did you live in the moment? 

I think a bit of both. I shared a room with a girl from my university who became a lifelong friend because sleeping next to each other for 4 months brought us closer together! I also had a group of friends whom I still talk to, but otherwise, I met more people on a day-to-day basis that I wouldn’t necessarily see again, but with whom I shared lifelong memories. For example, at the end of my trip I went away for a weekend with 3 girls I didn’t know (friends with my roommate) and I didn’t have time to see them again before I left, but this trip and the laughter we shared will always be engraved in my memory.

Finally, would you recommend Seoul for a semester abroad? 

Yes absolutely! Seoul is a capital city with never-ending things to do, with new events all the time, such as pop-ups that don’t last more than a week, numerous cafés with different themes, museums… Seoul also has a diverse nightlife with many clubs offering different types of music. 

This capital is not very expensive in terms of outings, restaurants and travel, so you can make the most of your exchange by eating bibimbap for 4€ or visiting other cities during your free time. 

Seoul (and South Korea in general) is safe, there are few thefts or muggings, given the number of surveillance cameras on every street corner (for example, I lost my phone in the metro and the next day it was found, which would never have happened in France!). 

Also, as a girl, you can wander around at 4 am without feeling unsafe and men aren’t pushy, they don’t come up to you, and if they do, when you say no, they understand and leave. That’s a feeling I have missed terribly since I came back.

SUICIDE: If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, you can call Samaritans for free on 116123 or email jo@samaritans.org. You can also contact SHOUT, a confidential 24/7 text service, on 85258, Papyrus Hopeline UK, a confidential suicide prevention service, on +44-08000684141, or Nightline, a confidential, anonymous listening service for students, through their website https://nightline.org.uk/. You can also call Switchboard, a listening service for and operated by LGBT+ people, on 0300 330 0630.

Flore Boitel is a writer at Her Campus at the King's College London (KCL) chapter. She writes for the Life section of the chapter but also writes for Entertainment whenever she is able to. She is a French student, who moved to London for her studies. Flore is completing her final year at KCL, studying towards a BA English degree. Last year she was the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus KCL and oversaw all the articles that were published for that 2022-2023 academic year. She is also a student ambassador at KCL and part of the cheerleading team. Beyond Her Campus, Flore's interests include literature, cheerleading, music (R&B), drinking hot chocolate while watching Gilmore Girls, and going on runs around London. She is also an adept of travelling and was able to study abroad at the University of Pennsylvania, and lived in 5 different countries.