Finding Self Love in the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JWU chapter.

With 2016 already upon us, it’s time we created some resolutions that’ll stick and really benefit. This year, my resolutions include, learn how to do a split, become an MMA fighter, and love myself for every bump, bruise, and scar. Last year was a progressive year in the campaign for self-love with Aerie’s campaign to stop retouching their model’s photos, but 2016 needs to be the year that we, as a society, obtain it.

It’s kind of funny that when people, especially women, read my new years resolutions list, they immediately think that the latter is the hardest to accomplish. I’m not saying that I’m going to love myself by the end of January, heck, I’m not even sure I’ll love myself by the end of 2016, but it’s time we start the journey to reach that point. Here are a few tips to help jump-start your efforts!

1.      Treat yourself!

In the wise words of Tom Haverford and Donna Meagle, treat yo self. Now, I’m not telling you to go out and drop loads of money on a new designer bag you’ve had your eyes on for ages, but instead allow yourself to enjoy little things in life. For example, getting up early to watch the sun rise, or buying yourself a nice smoothie from your favorite smoothie shop. You deserve the nice things in life, but most of all you deserve to enjoy them.

2.      Get your sweat on!

You don’t have to start doing crossfit this year to get in shape, just try and go to the gym a couple of times a week, start out small, and don’t make any commitments! If you go to the gym everyday, and try working out for hours, you’re going to crash and burn. Exercising releases endorphins into your bloodstream, giving you a natural high, which will allow you to perceive yourself in a different light. This can help you to start to work on loving your physical self-image

3.      Forgive yourself!

Said by the once great Hannah Montana, “Nobody’s perfect”, and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you can forgive and forget. We all do stupid things sometimes, but what matters most is that we’ve learned from it and moved on. Don’t dwell on past transgressions, but instead think of  how you can further better yourself afterwards.

4.      Compliment yourself!

I want you to wake up every morning, go to the mirror, and find one thing to genuinely compliment yourself on. Whether you’re going au natural, or you’ve got the face beat by the gods, find one thing to compliment, and allow yourself to receive the compliment.

5.      Stop thinking “if” and start thinking “when”!

Confidence is key in the journey to loving yourself. It’s easier than it looks. In conversation, instead of using the word “if” to describe something you’re doing, use the word “when”. Such as, “When I get that job” or “When I go on a date with my crush”. It’s so easy to get swept away by the sea of ‘If’s’, it’s time to create a ‘When’ wave of your own.

I understand it can be very difficult for people to find one good thing about themselves, but as a society now, we need to help our fellow humans find it. Instead of putting someone down, go compliment a stranger. Instead of ripping on yourself for a mistake you made, tell yourself you’ll do better next time. We need to stop focusing on the negatives and start focusing on the positives. When we start doing that, we will then see a time of self-love and inner peace. Something this world needs now more than ever. When I can do a split and know some pretty awesome MMA moves, I know loving myself won’t be too far behind.

I like writing words on the internet and sleeping till 3 in the afternoon.
Hi everyone! I'm Reina Mori and I am a current sophomore at Johnson and Wales University. I currently study Baking and Pastry Arts/ Food Service Management. I am a proud Hermana of Sigma Lambda Upsilon/Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc. I am from New Jersey currently living in Rhode Island! I work at Vicotria's Secret and sadly, I love to spend all of my money there. I have the worlds cutest dog named Bailey. She's an Australian Cattle Dog who LOVES food just as much as I do. A few things I like to do for fun is cooking, playing field hockey, shopping, and being around my friends. A fun fact about me is that I am absolutely terrible when it comes to introducing myself.