Tips for Navigating the Freshman Roommate Search

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Those Facebook groups may feel like online dating with, like, ten times the pressure, but as someone whose roommate search yielded very successful results, I’m going to offer a few suggestions!

1. You don’t need to be from the same hometown

The fact that you’re both from NoVa might seem like good common ground, but unless you’re from out of state and want someone to carpool with, where you’re from doesn’t matter at all.

2. Don’t underestimate the power of similar music interests

You’re not going to be listening to music with headphones all of the time, so be honest about your music taste in your bio so that when one of you DJs, you both enjoy it.

3. Make your bio as honest as possible

I can’t stress the importance of this point enough. Don’t write a bio that you think will get you the most responses; write a bio that expresses who you are most accurately!

4. Being the same major is helpful sometimes

Personally, being the same major as my roommate has been helpful because if I ever have questions (and I have a lot of questions), I can ask the person sitting ten feet away. However, if you are in a competitive major and feel as though you will compare yourself to them too much, don’t worry about it

5. Similar levels of cleanliness is a MUST

If you hate putting away your laundry, say it! Believe me, you’re not alone, and you don’t want to live with someone who will be upset by your habits.

6. Going-out habits only matter if you are an extreme

If you smoke or drink excessively and will never be in the room, say so in your bio. If you are totally against parties, say that as well! Both of these are totally fine and very important to the search. However, saying, “I like to go out sometimes but will also stay in and chill” isn’t super helpful because that is about 90% of the JMU population.

7. If you feel like you could copy & paste someone else’s bio and it would represent you, they could be the perfect match

If you find yourself reading a bio and saying, “omg same” to everything they said, message them! Make sure that what they said is specific though. If it’s extremely vague, it could mean that everyone thinks that person is their perfect match.

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.