nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Tears Are Coming – Where to go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Crying on campus. It happens to the best of us. You just left an exam feeling like you failed it and it’s the end of the world. You find out you didn’t do well on a paper you thought you aced. You’re sleep deprived and the fact that someone took your favorite seat in lecture sends you over the edge. The tears start coming and you won’t get back to your dorm or apartment in time to have a good cry. What do you do? Where do you go?

At JMU there are numerous crying spots. Some are more private and secluded while others are more public and comfortable. Let this article be your guide to finding the perfect crying spot when you just can’t hold it in.

Carrier Basement Bathrooms

The bathrooms in the basement of Carrier are private and secluded and conveniently located in one of JMU libraries: the perfect place to duck to if you just can’t seem to understand this one concept and need to shed some tears. However, like most of the bathrooms in Carrier the door stalls are low, so you may feel more exposed and vulnerable. Never fear the third-floor bathrooms have tall doors but might be used more.

ISAT/CS and EnGeo Bathrooms (basement, 2nd, and 3rd floors).

These bathrooms are a great place to sob your eyes. The bathrooms on the first floor appear to be busier, so I suggest sticking to the 2nd, 3rd, and basement. However, these bathrooms do tend to get busy in-between classes, so I would try and refrain from crying then. I highly suggest the 2nd floor EnGeo bathroom across from the vending machines – they are the perfect place to cry after you probably failed your physics test that you stayed up late and woke up early to study for and thought you were going to do super well on (I’m not speaking from experience or anything).

SSC 3rd and 4th Floors

On the 3rd and 4th floors of SSC there are small study spaces away from the classrooms by the main elevator. While it is more public, not a lot of people walk by, there are outlets to charge you phone, and you can treat yourself to Dunkin Donuts afterwards because nothing picks me up after a good cry like a sugary donut (and coffee)!!

Second Floor Festival Bathrooms near the Ballroom

Unless there is an event going on, the bathrooms near the Festival Ballroom is empty the majority of the time so it’s a great place to have a nice, long cry. While you may have random people wander in, and while there might be a slight echo which only increases the sound of your sobs, it’s the perfect place to let those tears flow!!

Nap Nook in Festival

While this spot might be more public, it’s the superb place to curl up in a ball and cry. The beanbag chairs are super comfy and if you can cover your face with your hands or a sweatshirt/jacket to muffle your sobs. Ignore any judgmental stares: they’re just jealous they don’t have the confidence you have to let your feelings out!!

Anywhere on Campus

If you’re brave enough, or if the tears are coming too fast for you to find a place to hide, you can cry anywhere on campus!! Cry on the quad – you can always say you have allergies!! Cry in UREC – you can blame it on the chlorine from the pool!! Cry on the bus – it’s probably not the weirdest thing they’ve seen!! Cry everywhere because college is rough and while it’s (hopefully) worth it, you need to let your emotions out. Everyone has been there, it really is a judgment free space.

Emily Bordelon is a biotechnology major and a member of the class of 2020 at James Madison University. She enjoys hanging out with friends and family, hiking in the Shenandoah Valley, watching Netflix, and exploring new places. 
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.