St. Patrick’s Day: Luck of the Irish Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is long gone and the next party-worthy holiday seems far, far away. But don’t fear, because St. Patrick’s Day is fast approaching on Tuesday, March 17th! So what’s the best way to celebrate like a leprechaun? Lots of green, lots of clovers and lots of yummy treats!

Lucky Charm Rice Crispy Treats

You need: Box of Lucky Charms cereal, butter, mini marshmallows, large saucepan, wooden spoon, baking dish, knife

Step 1: Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat

Step 2: Add 2 and a half cups of mini marshmallows to melted butter. Stir together until gooey.

Step 3: Add 4 cups of Lucky Charms and stir together.

Step 4: Pour mixture into a baking dish. Smooth it out and press it into the pan

Step 5: Let the rice crispy treats cool and then cut into squares and serve!

Magically, and dangerously, delicious!

Rainbow Waffles – Literally taste the rainbow

You need: Waffle mix or ingredients to make waffles from scratch, red, yellow, green, blue, and purple food coloring, miniature dark chocolate Reese’s, M&M’s, whipped cream, a large bowl and five little bowls, waffle makes.

Step 1: Prepare batter for waffles- from scratch or from a box

Step 2: Pour batter into five separate bowls. Make sure you have more batter in the bowls for the red and yellow food coloring!

Step 3: Add the colors into the waffle maker in a circular/ring pattern, starting in the middle of the waffle maker with purple. Then add a ring of blue around that, then green, then yellow and finally red.

Step 4: Once the waffle is cooked, remove it and cut down the center of the waffle so you have two waffles in the shapes of a semi-circle.

Step 5: Take a miniature dark chocolate Reese’s and place yellow M&M’s on top (either just lay them on top or attach with frosting). Place the chocolate on one side of the waffle. This is your pot of gold!

Step 6: Add a dollop of whipped cream on the other end of the rainbow to look like a cloud.

St. Patrick-tini

You need: Green Jell-O, unflavored gelatin, vanilla ice cream, green grapes, martini glasses, liquid measuring bowl, straws

Step 1: Fill a large liquid measuring bowl with 1 cup of boiling water.

Step 2: Add in one package of green Jell-O.

Step 3: Next, add half a package of unflavored gelatin.

Step 4: Finally, add a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream. Mix together.

Step 5: Carefully pour the mixture into martini glasses (or any glasses you have around the kitchen!)

Step 6: Put in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or the freezer for about an hour so the drink freezes.

For a finishing touch, stick a green grape on a straw and sip away!

Shamrock Pretzel Pops

You need: 1 bag of regular-shaped mini pretzels, 1 bag of M&M’s (only use the green), chocolate Kisses or Rolo Chocolates, lollipop sticks, parchment/wax paper, optional: green ribbon

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with the parchment/wax paper

Step 2: Arrange the pretzels into a shamrock shape, with the bottoms grouped together. Repeat until the cookie sheet is full of pretzel shamrocks

Step 3: Place an unwrapped Rolo candy or chocolate Kiss in the center of the shamrock. Make sure the chocolate is touching all three pretzels.

Step 4: Place the cookie sheet in the oven for 3-5 minutes or until the chocolate gets soft. Remove from the oven.

Step 5: RIGHT AFTER you remove from the oven, do these two things at once- press a green m&m on top of the chocolate and insert the lollipop stick into the bottom of the chocolate. Be speedy!

Step 6: Let the pops cool (stick in freezer to speed up this process)

Optional Step 7: Tie a ribbon around the pop stick for a festive look

Twizzler Rainbow

You need: Multicolored twizzlers, Rolo Chocolates, clear baggies, green ribbon

Step 1: Place several Rolo Chocolates with the wrappers still on in the bottom of the bag. These are pots of gold!

Step 2: Arrange twizzlers in the colors/shape of a rainbow in the baggie

Step 3: Tie off the top of the baggie with a green bow.

Pancakes – for the not-so-blessed baker

Simple recipe: Prepare pancakes according to a mix and add green food coloring!

Pancakes from scratch:

Step 1: In one bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: 1 cup of flour, 4 teaspoons of sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/8 teaspoons of salt

Step 2: In another bowl, mix together the liquid ingredients: ¾ cup of milk, 1 egg, and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil

Step 3: Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together until the mixture is no longer clumpy.

Step 4: Add a couple drops of green food coloring or until the desired color is achieved. If desired, stir Lucky Charm marshmallows into the batter.

Step 5: Scoop about 1/3 cups of the mixture onto a frying pan with butter on it over medium heat. Flip the pancake when bubbles start to form on top.

Step 6: When the pancake is golden brown on both sides, put it on a plate and serve with whipped cream, butter, syrup or Lucky Charm cereal on top. Whatever you prefer!

Lucky Leprechaun Parfait

You need: 4 pre-made brownies or chocolate cake, 4 Double Chocolate Jell-O pudding cups, 4 Vanilla Jell-O pudding cups, crushed Thin Mints or Oreos, green food coloring, whipped cream (preferably Cool-Whip), green and chocolate sprinkles

Step 1: Cut the brownies into small bite-size pieces and arrange half in the bottom of four parfait cups.

Step 2: Spoon the double chocolate pudding over the brownies. Sprinkle the crushed cookies over the chocolate pudding. Add the rest of the brownie as the next layer.

Step 3: Add a drop of green food coloring to the vanilla pudding and stir well until the pudding is green. Spoon the green pudding over the crushed cookie layer.

Step 4: Top the parfait with whipped topping and sprinkles!

JMU alumni making her way into the "real" world. Passion for spending time with my large Italian family, running and eating any and all desserts I can get my hands on.
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.