The Sleep Revolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Cofounder, president and editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post, Arianna Huffington has released yet another book after her #1 New York Times bestseller Thrive. THE SLEEP REVOLUTION: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time “shows us how to harness the power of sleep to improve our lives” with a deep and personal look into the scientific history of sleep.

In this must-have summer read, Arianna approaches sleep from every angle and takes a critical look at the number one cause of sleep deprivation (especially for us colleges kids)–the manipulative and addictive devices we have come to love, our smartphones.

With “scientific recommendation and expert tips,” Arianna coaches us on how we can achieve a better and more restorative sleep and argues “the importance of sleep as a gateway” to living a more fulfilling life.

Some praise

“Arianna Huffington is one of our leading authorities on the life well-lived. In this passionate, deeply researched book, she reveals everything you need to know about the magic elixir of sleep: from how to get some, to why it matters. I dare you to read this book and carry on depriving your body (and soul) of the nightly nourishment it so desperately needs.”

– Susan Cain, co-founder of Quiet Revolution and author of “Quiet”

“Arianna Huffington has written a book of profound importance. From time to time we’ll all find sleep comes hard. For many, it is a constant struggle. Taking Arianna’s wise advice to rebuild your relationship with sleep— to befriend rather than struggle with it— will transform your life, putting you back in touch with your more compassionate and intelligent self.”

– Mark Williams, Emeritus Professor of Clinical Psychology, University of Oxford and Co-author of “The Mindful Way Workbook”

“The message of Arianna Huffington’s compelling book won me over: You can be your own Prince Charming. You can empower yourself with knowledge— knowledge in this book— to wake yourself up. And then, use that  knowledge to put yourself, every night, into a sleep that is healthy and restorative!”

– Sherry Turkle, Professor of the Social Studies of Science and Technology, MIT and author of “Reclaiming Conversation”

“Propelled by cutting-edge science and brimming with wisdom and wit, ‘The Sleep Revolution’ is the single best book about sleep in years. An extraordinary achievement.”

– A. Roger Ekirch, author of “At Day’s Close: Night in Times Past”

“A lucid, compelling, and rational narrative on the importance of sleep to our mental, emotional and physical health.  In ‘The Sleep Revolution,’ Arianna Huffington exposes the dangers of our modern-day attitude towards sleep and advocates for a renewed emphasis on the importance of sleep to our well-being.  It is nothing short of a call to arms for policy makers, CEOs, parents, educators, hospital administrators, and coaches to confront the fact that insufficient sleep is a modern-day health crisis.”

– Patrick Fuller, Associate Professor of Neurology, Harvard Medical School and Deaconess Medical Center

So what are you waiting for? Get your copy today!

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.