The Skinny on a New Years Resolution

We all say that we aren’t going to over indulge during the holiday season, but the truth of the matter is that our eyes are bigger than our stomachs. The appetizers come out one by one during the first round. Eyes wander to each mouth-watering item from the shrimp cocktail, stuffed mushrooms, and even to the crudités. We are given the small holiday plates that create an obstacle for placement of each food item. After the strategic placement is achieved, we to pretend to make small talk with whomever; when the reality of it is that our mind is thinking about the next course: the main course. The main course slowly arrives, and this time we are given larger plates! There is enough room to sustain the turkey, lasagna, meatballs, mashed potatoes, and whatever else is served. Silence will usually hover throughout the room, with repetitive exclamations of, “this is delicious!” Once that course is complete, people will sit around the table saying that they can’t eat anything else. Little do we all know, there is always room for dessert, even despite how full we are. Dessert can range from assorted cookies, cakes, and pies. Once we finish stuffing our faces, the food coma hits and a few hours later we tell ourselves that it is time to start the diet.

On Christmas Day, the average person will consume about 6,000 calories. That is equivalent to 2 pounds. However, there are holiday parties on the side, which can contribute to over 1,500 calories per party. This severe intake can result in the average weight gain of 5 pounds over the holiday season. Five pounds can slowly creep up on a person, especially once we step on the dreaded scale in January. To our amusement, we will try and reason out the weight gain and make a New Year’s resolution to eat healthier and lose the weight. A resolution like that may only last for three weeks depending on how disciplined the person is. This is the time when there is an abundance of gym and nutritionist discounts. The gym will also be full of non-typical gym enthusiasts who may only last for three weeks due to a lack of self-motivation to follow through with their resolutions. However, it is possible to achieve this resolution by being realistic about it.

8% of Americans are successful in attaining a New Year’s resolution, and 24% of Americans fail at accomplishing a resolution. It is important that an individual is successful in reaching a completed resolution in weight loss/being healthier. This type of resolution can have a beneficial impact in regards to the future of an individual’s health, and it also opens up the door for a positive lifestyle change.

A person needs to first be clear and specific as to what the resolution is. It is a fine idea to start off with a general resolution and then become more specific. A general resolution could be to lose ten pounds. From that a more specific objective should be formed, such as to lose ten pounds “I will stop eating foods high in saturated fat.” Once the specificity is determined, we need to make sure that each objective is measureable. We want to be able to see our progress. So a measureable objective would be drinking more water to prevent ourselves from eating saturated foods, that way water will make us feel fuller and prevent boredom hunger. While in the process of establishing resolution objectives, we need to keep in mind that they are in line with our values. When resolutions are set that are driven by our desire to please others we often fail. During this process, it is important to stay true to ourselves and think about the future impact it will have on us. We should also be willing to learn new things that will aid in achieving the resolution. A new exercise class may help in losing the ten pounds. Lastly, it is imperative that we surround ourselves with supporters because they will hold us accountable for our progress and help push us forward.

Any type of weight loss needs to be appropriate for each individual, and contain a well balanced diet. A person should not loose more than 2 pounds per week, and daily exercise of at least 30 minutes is recommended. It is very possible to achieve the New Year’s resolution of diet and fitness by tailoring it to our own personality.  

Sources:

1. M Romero. 6 Tips for Sticking to Your New Year’s Resolution. Washingtonian. http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/wellbeing/dieting-weight-loss/6-tips-for-sticking-to-your-new-years-resolutions.php. Published December 27, 2011. Accessed December 22, 2012.
  2. New Years Resolution Statistics. Journal of Clinical Psychology. 12-13-12.