Is ‘The Shot’ the Birth Control Method For You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

As a kid, I would do anything to avoid getting a shot. I have vivid memories of my pre-K self running through the halls of my doctor’s office screaming at the top of lungs because I was deathly afraid of needles. So, if you’d told me then that years later I would be voluntarily choosing to get a shot, I would have called you crazy. But it’s true! For almost three years now I’ve been on Depo-Provera, a birth control method commonly just referred to as “the shot”, and it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

When I first made the decision to go on birth control, the obvious choice was to go with the pill. Getting something injected or implanted in me seemed terrifying, and I thought that taking a pill every day would be a piece of cake. Plus, I liked knowing that I would still have my period a month, and would know exactly when to expect it. However, I didn’t take into account the fact my severe case of forgetfulness. While I usually remembered to take my pill every morning, sometimes I would wake up in the middle night, panicked with the realization that I had completely forgotten. I knew I had to kiss the pill goodbye when I once lost an entire month’s worth of pills.

So, I knew it was time for a change. I knew I needed a form of birth control that I wouldn’t have to worry about every single day…or that could be easily lost. My OBGYN recommended Depo-Provera, and at first I almost laughed at her face. Images of my 18-year-old self running away from her needle through the doctor’s office flooded my mind.

However, I couldn’t help but appreciate the fact that the shot lasted for three whole months. Another benefit? Most women on Depo have significantly lighter periods, or don’t menstruate at all. At first this sounded strange and unnatural to me, and was what initially drew me to the pill. However, the older I got the more I dreaded my time of the month. It was like, okay Mother Nature, thanks for letting me know I’m not pregnant, but can you please stop ruining all of my cute underwear?

The decision was made, I would be switching to Depo-Provera. I still remember my first shot. I had spent the entire morning with a nervous stomach, terrified that the pain would be so crazy I would immediately scream, “Nope! Back to the pill!” I expressed this fear to the nurse who explained that I could get the shot in my hip instead of my arm, and that it would be significantly less painful. And she was right! After a quick pinch she said, “All done here!” She bandaged me up and I made an appointment for three months later. And that was it! No pills to remember every morning or foreign object that had to be inserted or implanted in me.

Depo-Provera is definitely the birth control method for me, and it might be for you too! So here are some pros and cons to help you make the decision, though you should definitely consult with your doctor before making the decision!

Pros:

1. You don’t have to remember to take it every single day. Just make an appointment once every three months, and you’re set!

2. You’ll have fewer, or no periods at all! I get my period once every month, which is perfect for me because I don’t have to buy tampons or pads as often!

3. It’s super effective! According to Planned Parenthood’s website, Depo-Provera is over 99% effective in preventing pregnancy if used correctly, which means getting your shot on time every three months!

4. It doesn’t “interrupt” the act. A lot of people like the fact that you don’t need to do anything prior to sex when you’re on Depo. As long as you’ve gotten your shot on time, you’re safe. However, the use of male or female condoms only increases your protection against pregnancy, so it’s worth interrupting for. Safe sex is great sex!

Cons:

1. It’s a shot, so if you aren’t a fan of needles, it might not be the right option for you.

2. Some women report side effects such as nausea, weight gain, or in some cases depression.

3. It affects your menstrual cycle, so if you aren’t uncomfortable with not having your monthly period, this isn’t the choice for you.

4. It can take between 6-10 months to wear off after you stop taking it. This means that if you’re trying to get pregnant, you may have trouble conceiving immediately after stopping Depo-Provera.

5. It does not protect against HIV/STDs. (So use condoms!)

19-year-old intersectional feminist on a mission to spread love and encourage girls to embrace their sexuality and bodies. Also on the mission to find the most delicious cup of coffee.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.