Wellness > Mental Health

Shadow Work: A Journaling Technique That Might Just Change Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Many would say that a huge step to healing is taking care of all parts of yourself, the mind, body, and spirit. But what about your shadow?

Our shadows are the unconscious feelings and parts of ourselves that we have repressed. Although rejected, these shadows can still play a part in our daily lives and who we are if not recognized. The process of shadow work takes these repressed traumas, or feelings, and brings them back to the surface to be worked through and healed. These repressed parts of ourselves could stem from previous experiences, like a friend canceling plans or telling you that you can’t sit with them. This may equate to the feeling that you are not enough. A fight between parents that leads to a divorce could leave you believing it was your fault. Shadows can come from all sorts of experiences, no matter how serious they seem. There are many ways to begin shadow work, but journaling is my favorite method and is also popular among many others.

Luckily, shadow work is not a complicated science. It simply involves looking inside yourself and doing hard things, i.e. coming to terms with some deeply repressed feelings. Easy right? In my opinion, the best way to get started in shadow work is by responding to prompts. All you need is a journal, a pen and this article. Specific prompts regarding childhood, dreams, and family are helpful if you need somewhere to begin. Sometimes prompts can fit well together in groups, each one stemming from the last and helping you slowly recover trends within your feelings. Here are some prompts to start with; be sure to write freely, honestly and without self-judgment!

Who were your best friends growing up?

What did you like about these friends?

What is your perfect day?

Do you prioritize yourself?

Write about a time you felt at peace.

Were you self-conscious as a child? Are you now?

Who inspired you as a child?

Who inspires you now?

Where was your ‘safe space’ as a child?

How did you deal with emotions when you were younger?

Shadow work can sometimes be uncomfortable, but like most healing processes and journaling techniques, it can lead to self-discovery. Especially if you love writing, the technique might just work for you, and it never hurts to try something new.

Laurel is a junior English major, double minoring in Writing, Rhetoric and Technical Communications, as well as British Communications and Media. When not writing, she is often reading, drawing, dancing in her bedroom, or daydreaming about moving to London.