Review: Her Campus x JMU PINK’s GRL PWR Panel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Being lucky enough to be a member of Her Campus JMU and JMU’s Pink Campus Team, I was able to help host and attend the GRL PWR Panel held at Grafton Theater this past Tuesday night. As part of VS Pink’s first ever GRL PWR Campaign that launched on January 31st, Her Campus and the Pink Team hosted a panel consisting of insanely talented and accomplished girl bosses from right here at JMU! The night was so fun and empowering. I left feeling super inspired and proud to be a girl. The 4 words encapsulating this campaign being, EMPOWER, DREAM, INSPIRE, HUSTLE, this theme was constant throughout the night!

GRL PWR Sticky Board & Photo Booth

Right when you entered the event, there was a huge poster titled, “What Does GRL PWR Mean To You?” Girls entering had the chance to write down an answer on a sticky note and place their response inside the giant PINK letters. This was a great way to start off the event strong, getting all the GRL PWR messages flowing!

There was the most picture-perfect photo booth with tons of props including a PINK banner, GRL PWR signs and a letter board, a Pink Campus heart cut-out, and more! Not only did everyone get a chance to hear some incredible girl boss advice, but got some cute grl pwr pics with friends as well!

JMU Unaccompanied A Capella Performance

Before we heard from our panelists, we had the honor of hearing some amazing songs from JMU’s very own all girl a Capella group, Unaccompanied. They serenaded us with some girl boss tunes as a perfect intro into our incredible panel!

GRL PWR Panel / Q&A

Finally, we heard from some of JMU’s very own outstandingly talented girl bosses! These ladies included:

~ The Voice contestant, singer, photographer/videographer- Gina Costanzo

~ Soon-to-be commissioned 2nd Lieutenant of the U.S. Air Force- Kelly Chung

~ Pink Campus Rep and highly accomplished- Carly Comito

~ Insanely talented photographer/videographer- Angelika Johns

~ Portrait photographer- Natalia Seth

~ UREC Group Exercise Instructor- Kelsey Silverman

~ Blogger/social media influencer- Lucy Smith

These women are students with so much life experience and accomplishments in their fields! They have managed to start their own businesses, go after what they want, face social pressures and come out on top. They had such incredible advice to give. Ellie White, the other Pink Campus Rep, led the panel. The panel opened up to audience questions to gain an even greater insight into what it takes to be a true girl boss; having confidence, persistence, perseverance and tenacity is key! Coming together as girls to support and empower one another, instead of being so critical of ourselves, was extremely encouraging. Everyone left feeling inspired that night.

A Media Arts & Design student, coffee addict, lover of old music, '90s fashion and a huge passion for creating and storytelling.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.