timothee chalamet and zendaya coleman in dune part two
Niko Tavernise / Warner Bros

MOVIES EXPECTED IN 2024

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

July, 26 2024 is a big day for two reasons. Number one, it’s my 21st birthday! And Number two, Deadpool 3 comes out in theaters! And since I don’t remember the last time a movie premiered on my birthday that I’ve actually wanted to go and see, I figured this is a sign from the universe to get myself and others excited for movies that are expected to come out this year.

First – and coming in strong as it comes out in 2 days (March 1) as I’m writing this – is Dune 2. This film has a lot of popular and talented stars coming together to help this film achieve its true potential. We’ve got Zendaya, Florence Pugh, Rebecca Ferguson, and more on the cast, so it’s definitely a sci-fi movie that you’re going to want to watch. Timothée Chalamet plays the main character, Paul Atreides, who is fighting to save his planet from a disastrous event with the help of some friends along the way.

Next, a Jack Black classic, Kung Fu Panda 4, coming out on March 4. If you haven’t seen Kung Fu Panda 3 (which I highly recommend you do) then don’t read next for spoilers! But in this new installation in the series, Po finds out that he must retire his title as the Dragon Warrior and become a Spiritual Leader of the Valley of Peace. That is, until a new antagonist is introduced – The Chameleon – who can shape-shift and steal others’ kung fu (Viola Davis is voice acting this new character, so of course I’m excited for this movie).

For this next one, I need to make clear that I will be seated with a Diet Coke and a bag of popcorn on opening night. I am just that excited for this movie. The Fall Guy is premiering on May 4 starring Ryan Gosling and Aaron Taylor Johnson! Based off of the original 1980’s series, expect an action movie infused with comedy – debatably the area where these two actors shine the most if Bullet Train and The Nice Guys were any indication. Colt Seavers, played by Gosling, is a stuntman who is working on a movie that his ex is directing who, naturally, is played by the queen herself, Emily Blunt. But what will he do when the star of the film goes missing, and he sets out to find her? Watch to find out!

And lastly, on May 10 we are going “Back to Black” with an Amy Winehouse biopic. Marisa Abela is playing the late singer as we follow her through Amy’s perspective through her rise to fame and obstacles of life that lead her to release her first album, Back to Black.

Even though it will be difficult for future films to top the year of Barbienheimer, I still think movie-lovers will have a good year of films to choose from this year. Let me know if you want to come to my Deadpool themed 21st birthday party! There will be (dirty) shirley temples!

margot robbie in a barbie movie
Warner Bros
Alexa is a Communications major and a Women's Gender and Sexuality Studies minor.