This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Name: Megan Bazzle

Year: Senior 2014

Hometown: Harrisonburg, VA

Major/Minor: Hospitality Management/ Business Minor

Tell me a little bit about your business:

I currently have an in-home baking business called “Bazzle’s Bakery.” I’m moving to a new location next month. I plan to continue running the business out of my house for the next 2-3 years. After a few years, I want to open a storefront operation that will offer pastries, desserts, gourmet sandwiches, soups, salads, and coffee.

How did you come across baking and why did you like it so much?

I loved to watch my mom cook and bake growing up. After watching her, I gained an interest in culinary and baking/pastry arts. I fell in love with the endless options of creativity and the fact that I can make a mess! Ironically, my grandma used to bake wedding cakes out of her home as well.

What’s your absolute favorite cupcake that you make?

My favorite cupcake to make is Chocolate fudge with raspberry filling and vanilla buttercream frosting. I think I like to make it because it’s one of my personal favorites as well as a popular customer pick. I love decorating cupcakes with fondant, seasonal fruits, and drizzles (ex: caramel, chocolate ganache, raspberry sauce, etc.).

How do you manage school, work, and your business?

It’s a never-ending battle, but I love it! I’ve always enjoyed staying busy. I just do what needs to be done and enjoy it in the process. I try to approach everything with the mindset that regardless of what goes wrong, it’s always an opportunity.

What do you do in your free time?

In my free time, I like to spend time with family, friends and my pups, Max, Xena, and Scout. Some of my favorite hobbies include skiing, playing tennis, hiking, biking and scuba diving. I love getting out and trying new things. However, sometimes it’s just nice to spend some down time at home relaxing and refueling for the next day.

Where do you get your recipes?

Some of my recipes I find in cookbooks, magazines, and online. Once I make them a few times, I tweak them until they’re just right. However, most of my recipes have been passed down through the family.

What types of pastries do you make?

I currently offer cakes, cupcakes, cake pops, cookies, cheesecake, and pies. My best sellers are cakes, cupcakes and cookies. I have over 21 cake flavors on my menu and I plan to expand the menu within the next few months.

Who do you cater to?

My biggest customers are couples who are looking for someone to bake their wedding cake. I also make a lot of birthday and specialty cakes.

Who has inspired you most?

My parents and fiancé have been huge supporters! They encourage me to challenge myself and strive to do my best. My family and friends have helped me get my business up and running. Oh, and I can’t forget my best friend, Brittany, who will come over at 3:00 a.m. and just help keep me awake to finish a job. I couldn’t do it without them!

You can check out Megan’s site below.