free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Interning 101: Working the Office Like a Runway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Ah, the workplace. Where both men and women often seem to be dressed in suits. While dressing professionally may seem like a snooze, there’s no need to swap out style in order to be office-appropriate. There are many items that can be incorporated into your wardrobe that will have you strutting down the halls and turning heads for all the right reasons.

Blazers may scream pant suit or skirt suit, but pairing them with mismatched bottoms can turn basic into bold. Try a patterned blazer with solid bottoms, or the other way around. Be spontaneous and pick up a peplum blazer. If you feel a blazer may be a little too serious for your liking, cardigans come in just as many cuts and patterns, if not more!

Just like blazers, trousers come in many different styles and designs. Mix it up with colored pants and a neutral top. Polka dots and pin-stripes are only a few of the patterns that pants are available in in. With cuts like flair, crop, and straight leg, the possibilities are endless.

Accessorizing is always the way to amp up an outfit. A statement necklace will turn any plain top and bottom into an easily stylish outfit. A sleek tote adds a professional flair, while flats can be the perfect statement to a simple outfit (cheetah print anyone?)

Don’t let a professional setting scare away your sense of style. Take a fashion risk or two, but always remember to be appropriate and never flashy. Be mindful of neck lines and hem lines, and steer clear of tighter clothing. Being labeled as the “skintern” is a big fashion don’t!

Yasmine is a senior at James Madison University majoring in writing, rhetoric and technical communication. Half-Italian and half-Palestinian, she was born and raised in Herndon, VA. Her favorite shows include New Girl, The Office, and Law and Order: SVU. During the school year, Yasmine writes for publications such as Potty Mouth, Port & Main Magazine, The Breeze, and Health Greatness, in addition to Her Campus. She is also involved in many clubs around campus, such as Muslim Student Association, SafeRides, and Make Your Mark On Madison. She has a passion for writing and hopes to begin her career as a fashion journalist after college.