Wellness > Mental Health

How I Plan to Stay Body-Positive Over Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Thanksgiving is the time of the year when I reflect on all of the positives in my life such as new friends, a budding romantic relationship, school, and last but not least my family. As the holiday season, and an abundance of food, rolls around things tend to get a little rocky between me and certain family members who spew certain, back-handed remarks that knock me back down to a toxic mentality I used to have towards my body, that I have worked so hard to shake off. To combat these negative thoughts and stay body-positive over break, I have devised a plan to keep myself in check.

Dismiss UNNECESSARY comments and change the subject

Hearing “Wow, you’re going to eat all of that?” as I am about to enjoy the delicious home-cooked meal that I have been longing for all semester would have surely crushed my spirit LAST year, but not this year. I will dismiss the comment and remind myself that my body is a temple and I don’t need to earn anyone’s approval but my own to eat and crack quick a joke to lighten the mood and start a new conversation.

Set comfortable boundaries

Bouncing off of the last step in my plan, I can set boundaries between certain relatives who tend to make backhanded and unnecessary comments. Being straightforward with how they make me feel could be a game changer because, on the off chance that they don’t realize how harmful their comments are, it could help them realize and understand where I am coming from and stop them from making future remarks towards me or anyone else in their lives.

Staying off social media in the hours leading up to the meal

Social media plays such a big role in my life and, as much as I want to deny it, my self-esteem. I tend to heavily compare my life but more specifically, my looks to those I see online and how I compare to them or how I could change myself to look more like them. Limiting how much I scroll on Instagram or TikTok before eating or even just in general will greatly impact how positively I view myself.

fOod is fuel!!

I kindly remind myself every so often that food is how we fuel are bodies to generate energy and not something that I or anyone else should stress over because we are all worthy of eating what we want and to be able to do the things we love like going out with friends, traveling, or doing something as simple as going for a walk.

Be sure to enjoy your time with friends and family this Thanksgiving and fuel your body with as much turkey and mashed potatoes as your heart desires (I know I will!)

Passionate about pumpkin chai lattes, fluffy cows, and jazz.