This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Over the past week, I have taken on the task of journaling every day. I know what you’re thinking, laying on my stomach in my bed while kicking my feet. My pink, fluffy pen scribbles “Dear Diary…” and some Y2K hit plays in the background. We’ve all seen that journaling is portrayed in films as some silly task that normally results in writing someone’s name encapsulated by a heart. Or if you watched Mean Girls, journaling was used in a not-so-positive way.

While that might be ONE way we can express ourselves, I chose to take the route of being extremely vulnerable with my journal. One therapist I had recommended I start journaling, but I never learned how to start. Do I list what I did all day? Do I talk badly about people? Do I say who I’m crushing on? It all seemed so silly and frustrating.

So, this past week I told myself, I want to write about what feelings I have each day. I want to tell my journal what I’m feeling and why. And I did!

I began writing every thought, toxic or not. Getting those feelings on paper made me consider them in ways I wouldn’t have if I left them lingering in my head. For example, I was worried about budgeting my money for the month. I took the time to write out why I thought it made me anxious and then I came up with a plan to meet all my bills. Something as simple as setting my intention on paper made the

Invest in yourself by purchasing a journal, some high-quality pens, and a unique bookmark. It’s important to remember that your journaling journey is FOR YOU! You don’t have to meet the expectations of what other people see journaling as. With midterms coming up, it’s the perfect time to destress and refocus with some journaling. Go get those supplies and sit down for some “Me Time.” Then you can get back to studying!

Nicole Bell is a fourth-year writing, rhetoric, and technical communication major with a women, gender, and sexuality studies minor. She is always with her cats, Doja Cat and Post Malone, and puppy, Aspen. She daydreams about when she will live in NYC.