This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

By definition, zen is “the state of being at peace with your own thoughts” , often used in yoga. While yoga is not for everyone, committing to a practice that revolves on a Mind and Body connection is extremely beneficial for mental health, including my own. On the same hand, your “zen” can be found in any hobby, any shape or form! Join me in exploring the benefits of hobbies, my hobby, and their benefits to mental health.

In times of mental distress, it is human nature to resort to distraction. However, this can come in various unhealthy forms that can form into bad habits. Some party, other’s binge their comfort show. Establishing a healthy distraction can help positively influence your mental health in the short-term and long-term.

My story

I found yoga in one of my darkest times mentally, and physically. It was freshman year of college and I was struggling with loss and as most freshman do, a sense of identity. I didn’t have a sport or extracurricular and was craving that feeling of fulfillment and purpose. One day I decided to try out JMU’s Group Exercise classes (because I had no idea what to do in the gym), and ended up loving them. Flash forward two years and I am now a Group Exercise Instructor for the yoga classes offered at JMU! I encourage anyone struggling with mental health to try yoga, it has helped me through so much. Yoga benefited my mental and physical health and is something I have found easy to maintain in my life. That being said, what yoga offered for me will not fulfill everyone the same way. It is important to find your own hobby or “zen”, and here is how to do so:

• Try New Things! I would have never found yoga until I stepped out of my comfort zone and attended group exercise classes. You never know what a door will lead you to if you never open it, and lifelong interests can be discovered this way.
  • Turn your Interests into Activities! A hobby should never feel like a chore, but rather something you look forward to in your day or week. Identify your interests, and then find an activity that correlates to the interest. This can be more personal like crafting, reading, cooking, and running. Or, like me, hobbies can come in a more public outlet like a group exercise, club, weekly event, etc.
  • See what Sticks! Sometimes, it only takes one time for an interest to be fulfilled, but this is not a hobby. You know you have found your hobby when you want to keep doing it after a few times. Ways to help differentiate between this is by finding an activity you can grow or work up in. In my instance, I create goals for myself, and this month’s goal is flexibility in hopes of doing the splits!

Let me state that a hobby is one outlet among many to manage mental health, and everyone’s journey is different. Please reach out to your friends, family, and community resources for additional help! Just know, you are loved and as us yogis say: Namaste, meaning the light in me honors and appreciates the light in you :)

Hello! I am senior Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication major with an Educational Media minor at JMU. I also enjoy teaching yoga classes at JMU's gym and am a barista, so in my free time you can find me either sipping on a latte or in downward dog!