DIY Body Scrubs: Get Ready for Summer!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Basic scrub

What you need:
2 cups of organic cane sugar or brown sugar or Epsom salts

1 cup of coconut oil (you can also use olive oil, but it will tint the color of the scrub yellow-ish)
8 drops of essential oil/fragrance oil

Special equipment: jars, mixing bowl, spoon

Instructions:
Stir together salt or sugar and the oil in a bowl, mixing well. Add the essential oil and stir until it is evenly distributed. Spoon into canning jars when done.

Go Bananas
Bananas provide excellent benefits to your skin! Not only are they good for moisturizing the skin, bananas are also rich in vitamin A, B and E, which work as anti-aging agents. Create your own banana body scrub!

What you need:
1 ripe banana
3 tbsp of granulated sugar or brown sugar
¼ tsp pure vanilla extract or your favorite essential oil

Instructions:
Mash up all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl using a fork. Do not over mash because it will become too thin. Make sure it is more of a “chunky goop.” Save some plain mashed up banana (with no sugar in it) so you can massage onto your face. While in the shower, pat the banana-sugar mixture onto your skin and gently massage over your body. Gently massage plain banana onto face.

Citrus Salt Scrub
Use this scrub to wake yourself up in the morning or use it after working out or playing sports!

What you need:
½ cup sea salt
½ cup oil of your choice (olive, coconut, or almond)
1 tsp citrus zest (lime, lemon, grapefruit or orange)

Instructions:
Mix everything together and rub onto skin while in the shower (make sure you avoid your eyes) and rinse off. It’s easiest to exfoliate your body in the shower because you can rinse it all off as soon as you’re done!

Mud Scrub

What you need:
1 cup cane sugar or brown sugar
5 tbsp coffee grounds
¼ oil of your choice
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions:
Mix the sugar and coffee. Add small amount of the oil to the coffee/sugar mixture and mix until everything is coated. Add any fragrance you like!
TIP: Make sure you blend all of the ingredients thoroughly.

Gift Ideas
To “spruce up” your jars, print cute pictures for labels and glue onto the jar using modge podge (found at Michael’s) and then seal it by painting another layer of modge podge on top of the label. Tie a cute ribbon or string around the top and give to your friends as a gift!