This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

For us curly-haired girls, we know our hair can get very difficult. The likelihood is that you have a love-hate relationship with your mane, so here are a few tips to love it more often than not.

Tip #1: Condition, condition, condition!

Oftentimes, curly hair can get very dry. In order to keep your curls moisturized and frizz-free, lots of conditioner is necessary. Shampooing your hair every day is not suggested, but conditioner is the key to keeping your hair under control and easy to style. After conditioning hair in the shower, apply leave-in conditioner to damp hair in order to keep it moisturized. When used about once a month, deep conditioner is a great way to repair hair that has been damaged.

Tip #2: Only comb wet hair

It can be easy to wait too long after showering to comb your hair, but that will only add to frizz. Combing even damp hair can create unnecessary dryness, so it is best to comb hair right after it is rinsed. If it’s easier, just comb your hair before you’ve even gotten out of the shower!

Tip #3: Use product!

People with curly hair have probably realized that picture-perfect hair is not possible on its own. There’s nothing wrong with using a little product to help get your desired look! Beautiful curls can be achieved by simply using mousse to style them. After conditioning your hair, evenly apply mousse throughout your hair and place it in the desired style. If you don’t like the crunchy feeling some mousse creates, diffuse your hair in order to create soft and bouncy curls.

Tip #4: Keep it healthy

It is easy to ignore getting haircuts with curly hair since split ends are less noticeable, but it is still important to get periodic trims. Us curly-haired girls usually work best with long hair, but your hair won’t grow long and strong without keeping it healthy! So head over to the salon every few months, and put down that flat iron!  Your curls will thank you later.

I wish you the best of luck as you try these tips and hopefully see some positive results! I know how frustrating curly hair can be, but it’s important to keep calm and know that you were blessed with it for a reason. So break out the conditioner, ditch the straightener, and rock it!

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.